TRINITY WITH PALM GROVE UNITED REFORMED CHURCH

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1201621
Date first listed:
10-Aug-1992
Statutory Address:
TRINITY WITH PALM GROVE UNITED REFORMED CHURCH, ALTON ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of TRINITY WITH PALM GROVE UNITED REFORMED CHURCH
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1201621.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Oct-2019 at 00:30:05.

Location

Statutory Address:
TRINITY WITH PALM GROVE UNITED REFORMED CHURCH, ALTON ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Wirral (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SJ 30257 88216

Details

BIRKENHEAD

SJ3088 ALTON ROAD, Claughton 789-1/10/183 (West side) Trinity With Palm Grove United Reformed Church

GV II

Presbyterian church. 1865-6. By W. and J.Hay. Coursed and squared rubble with red and yellow ashlar dressings and Welsh slate roof. West tower and spire, nave with aisles, hall complex to east and south. Asymmetrical west front with tower and spire to north. Short paired shafts to door with trefoiled head in moulded archway. Steep lancets each side of door and 5-light Decorated window over. Raking plinth to tower and lancet window with 3 small lancets above in lower stage. Door in north wall in stilted archway giving access to projecting stair turret. Paired bell chamber lights in gables that cut into spire. Angle pinnacles with stepped bases and lucarnes to spire. Full-height canted porch with stilted arched doorway and 3-lancets over to south, the lancet windows to aisles grouped in threes with tall 2-light Decorated windows over. Transepts have triple lancet window each side of central buttress and 4-light Decorated window over. Eastern hall range appears as chancel with lower roof and apsidal east end. Massive gabled porch to hall on north side with short shafts with stiff-leaf capitals. Gable of hall advanced to right, then circular eastern end. Church rooms to south a later addition, rock-faced over brick with canted bay windows each side of central door in projecting case. Interior: nave with aisles, shallow transepts and integral sanctuary. Curved gallery round three sides carried on square section cast-iron columns, and with raked seating. Curved principal roof trusses carried on cast iron columns with foliate capitals from gallery. Timber arched arcade to aisles at upper level, the lean-to aisle roofs cut by dormers over windows. Quadripartite timber vaulting over sanctuary. Plain arch with organ to east of sanctuary with central wood octagonal pulpit with traceried panels. Choir stalls flank the pulpit each side of reading desks and lecturn. Stained glass: Christ with saints and angels in lower window of south transept, and some figures in aisle windows to north and south, dated 1900 and 1898, and in north transept. Upper window of south transept, medieval style narrative scene dated 1881. West window, dated 1891, painterly representation, Suffer the Little Children. North transept window dated 1903.

Listing NGR: SJ3025788216

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
389091
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 29 May 2003
Reference: IOE01/10124/12
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Brendan Oxlade. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].