Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Date of most recent amendment:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1201638.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 01-Dec-2021 at 13:44:52.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

West Lancashire (District Authority)
Up Holland
National Grid Reference:
SD 50694 03154



SD50SW PIMBO LANE 783-1/4/56 (West side) 25/06/73 Bounty Farmhouse (Formerly Listed as: SKELMERSDALE AND HOLLAND PIMBO LANE Bounty Farmhouse and adjoining barn)


Small farmhouse, now store, and unoccupied at time of survey. Probably early C17, enlarged and altered in later C17, enlarged and altered in C19 and subsequently; and dated 1667 and 1869 on a datestone of latter date at rear. Coursed sandstone rubble with some remains of cruck and timber-framing, stone slate roof on 2 levels. Irregular plan formed by a 2-bay main range with a wing added to the rear of the first in the later C17, and a one-bay addition at the left end. The main range, 2 low storeys and 2 windows, has a blocked square-headed doorway offset to the right, with a chamfered lintel, a small window close to the junction with the addition to the left and a larger one above this, both now boarded, one former window on each floor to the right, both blocked with stone, and a timber wallplate under the eaves. Its north gable wall has been removed at ground floor to make a cart shed (the lintel supported by a cast-iron column), exposing a former rear wall of square framing with wattle-and-daub panelling, including one blocked panel which has pegholes in the rails (probably for fixing former wooden mullions), a stop-chamfered axial beam with vacant mortices of a former timber-framed partition, and purlins with vacant windbrace housings at both ends. The rear wing, of coursed thin sandstone rubble, has: on the north side, a collapsed former dairy, a 2-light mullioned fire-window near the rear corner, and a formerly mullioned window at 1st floor (now boarded); in the gable wall a blocked one-light window offset left at 1st floor; in the south side a doorway, a loading doorway above this, and a datestone inscribed: 1869/ MB/ 1667. The addition at the south end is 2 higher storeys with one window on each floor of both front and rear walls, all with wedge lintels (and boarded at time of survey), and a doorway in the rear wall. Internal inspection shows that most of the boarded windows are small-paned sliding sashes of 2 or 3 lights. INTERIOR: main range has a large lateral beam in the 1st bay with a broach stop, and bottom half of cruck blade in the partition between the bays; rear wing has a gable-end inglenook with full-width chamfered bressumer and inserted stone fireplace, and a stop-chamfered beam with original joists; and an upper room with stone-flagged floor. HISTORY: probably originated as a cruck-framed long-house, with stone parlour wing added in late C17 and main range rebuilt in stone, and partly raised, in early C19. Forms a group with former barn approx 2m south (qv). (Private Report and Surveys: Miller G: 1981-1990).

Listing NGR: SD5069403154


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 22 Jul 2000
Reference: IOE01/01341/22
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Simon Barker. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].