FARM BUILDINGS APPROXIMATELY 20 METRES NORTH WEST OF KNOWLES FARMHOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1201647

Date first listed: 25-Jun-1973

Statutory Address: FARM BUILDINGS APPROXIMATELY 20 METRES NORTH WEST OF KNOWLES FARMHOUSE, ROBY MILL

Map

Ordnance survey map of FARM BUILDINGS APPROXIMATELY 20 METRES NORTH WEST OF KNOWLES FARMHOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1201647 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Nov-2018 at 01:14:11.

Location

Statutory Address: FARM BUILDINGS APPROXIMATELY 20 METRES NORTH WEST OF KNOWLES FARMHOUSE, ROBY MILL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Lancashire

District: West Lancashire (District Authority)

Parish: Up Holland

National Grid Reference: SD 51784 06928

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

UP HOLLAND

SD50NW ROBY MILL, Roby Mill 783-1/2/114 (West side) 25/06/73 Farm buildings approximately 20 metres north-west of Knowles Farmhouse

GV II

Barn with integral shippon and attached cart shed and stable range. Barn probably late C18 or early C19 (with 1688 datestone in east gable); cart shed and stable range probably C19; both parts altered. The barn is of coursed sandstone rubble, the other range of coursed squared sandstone, and both have asbestos sheet roofs. L-plan formed by barn of 5 structural bays on east-west axis, with cartshed attached to west end of south side. The barn has opposed waggon doorways in the 3rd bay, that at the rear segmental-headed with a keystone (but damaged) but that at the front with a cast-iron lintel replacing the arch; to right, a re-used 2-light mullioned window (now blocked), a large square-headed doorway with monolith jambs and lintel (also blocked), and at right-hand end a square-headed doorway with wooden doorcase. Its east gable wall (which has been rebuilt) has inserted garage doorway at ground floor, and a datestone with raised lettering "1688" above; the rear has a buttress to the shippon, and rebuilt masonry to the east of this. The cart shed has 2 square-headed cart entries with punch-dressed lintels, and a similar but lower doorway to left of these with a square loading door above; and the stable continued to the left has 3 square-headed doorways, the 3rd of these under a flight of external steps to loft doorways of both parts, and a loft window in the centre. Forms group with Knowles Farmhouse approximately 20m south-east (qv).

Listing NGR: SD5178406928

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 389056

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing