WEBSTERS FARMHOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1201664
Date first listed:
25-Jun-1973
Statutory Address:
WEBSTERS FARMHOUSE, SPA LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of WEBSTERS FARMHOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1201664 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2019 at 05:38:27.

Location

Statutory Address:
WEBSTERS FARMHOUSE, SPA LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lancashire
District:
West Lancashire (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SD 47001 07682

Details

SKELMERSDALE

SD40NE SPA LANE 783-1/1/26 (North side) 25/06/73 Websters Farmhouse

II

Farmhouse, now house. Dated 1682 in gable of porch; enlarged c1900 and altered. Handmade red brick in English garden wall bond (3+1) on sandstone base, composition tile roof. Two-unit end-baffle-entry plan with projecting porch, rear wing and addition to left. Two low storeys; the principal element, 1:2 windows including a 2-storey gabled porch to the left, has an elaborate and unusual 3-course band carried round, with a corbel table of raised headers and a projecting top course in which alternate bricks are set on edge to give an embattled effect, and between the ground floor windows a pendent oblong panel in similar manner. The porch has a square-headed doorway with stone lintel and C20 board door, a small square window at 1st floor, and above this a square datestone with raised lettering: T/ TH/ 1682, and one very small window on each floor of the right-hand side. The main range has oblong windows on both floors, those at ground floor under blocked depressed arches with arch-bands of separated raised headers, and all with C20 joinery (replacing 3-light sliding sashes). Chimney at left gable; and modern one-window extension to left. HISTORY: the decorative use of brick on this building is very similar to that at Nos 1 & 3 Cobbs Brow in Newburgh, West Lancs District.

Listing NGR: SD4700107682

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
388987
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 07 Jun 2005
Reference: IOE01/13160/10
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David Cross. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].