Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1201670.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2021 at 12:26:05.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Oldham (Metropolitan Authority)
Non Civil Parish
National Grid Reference:
SD 92979 05494



SD9205SE EGERTON STREET 780-1/5/28 Henshaw's Bluecoat School 23/01/73


School. 1829-1834. By Richard Lane. Ashlar faced with Welsh slate roof. 2 storeys, symmetrically planned about a central entrance hall. Neo-Tudor style. Central and outer gabled wings each a 3-window range, linked by longer 5-window ranges. Advanced central wing with central moulded arched doorway and 3-light mullioned and transomed windows above on first and attic storeys, with steep gable above and polygonal pilasters terminating in truncated pinnacles. Outer 2-light mullioned windows on each floor, and polygonal angle pilasters with embattled pinnacles. Outer gables are similarly styled, with polygonal angle pilasters with truncated pinnacles, and steep coped gables. Windows throughout are mullioned and with margin lights in deep splayed embrasures. Embattled parapet over 5-window linking ranges. Advanced single storeyed parallel wing to right added in 1908, employing similar style. INTERIOR retains much of the orignal planning, in spite of the loss of the original hall (housed to the rear of the right hand gabled wing). Central entrance and stair hall, with cantilevered stone stair with cast-iron balustrade, linked to central spinal corridor by three moulded archways on each floor. Some original detailing also survives, particularly the moulded plasterwork of the corridor, and the cornice and gothick fireplace in the former governor's dining room. The school was founded as the result of a bequest from Thomas Henshaw, a hatter of Oldham, supplemented by a public appeal.

Listing NGR: SD9297905494


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 10 Feb 2006
Reference: IOE01/14695/26
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Peter Hyde. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].