This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

MORAVIAN SUNDAY SCHOOL

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: MORAVIAN SUNDAY SCHOOL

List entry Number: 1201680

Location

MORAVIAN SUNDAY SCHOOL, MAIN STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Oldham

District Type: Metropolitan Authority

Parish: Non Civil Parish

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 08-Mar-1993

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 388916

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details



SD90SW 780-1/3/53

OLDHAM MAIN STREET (West side) Moravian Sunday School

II

Moravian Sunday School. Dated 1906. By CT Taylor, architect. Brick with white terracotta dressings and hipped Welsh slate roof. Single storey, bold Baroque facade to Main Street 3 bays, with central entrance and advanced outer towers, Entrance in lean-to porch between the towers, with banded Ionic pilasters flanking doorway and oval windows each side, all in white terracotta band above brick plinth. Moulded terracotta frieze above with inscription and date, and cornice above. Large lunette window with terracotta architrave, voussoirs and cornice above, in red brick upper storey over the porch. Angle towers also banded brick and terracotta, with square windows in terracotta band to ground floor, with stressed moulded architrave. The terracotta band intself is stressed with rusticated bands. Central pilasters in brick band above, with terracotta cornice with central cartouche above, and moulded parapet, scooped out in centre. Return elevation to right has alternate segmental and tall round-arched windows in gabled dormers. (Ivor Packer: The Moravian Church, Westwood 1865-1965: Westwood: 1965-).

Listing NGR: SD 91360 05209

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Packer, I, The Moravian Church, Westwood 1865-1965, (1965)

National Grid Reference: SD9136005209

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1201680 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 26-Sep-2018 at 06:35:56.

End of official listing