MILL COURT

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1201695

Date first listed: 28-Nov-1994

Statutory Address: MILL COURT, THORNGATE

Map

Ordnance survey map of MILL COURT
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1201695 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Oct-2018 at 23:21:00.

Location

Statutory Address: MILL COURT, THORNGATE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: County Durham (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Barnard Castle

National Grid Reference: NZ 04923 16004

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BARNARD CASTLE

NZ0416SE THORNGATE 770-1/5/223 (East side) Mill Court

GV II

Formerly known as: Thorngate Factory THORNGATE. Woollen mill, then chamois leather factory, this part now flats. Mid C19; 1935-82 used by North of England Chamois Leather Co.; 1982-85 conversion of most of factory for Teesdale Buildings Preservation Trust. Coursed squared stone with ashlar dressings; roofs of stone and Welsh slates with stone gable copings. PLAN: north elevation to courtyard 3+2 storeys; 3+2-opening range. Rear elevation to river 3+3 lower storeys; 5+3 window range. EXTERIOR: north elevation to courtyard: former vehicle shed has voussoirs to 2 round-arched openings below and flat stone lintels and projecting stone sills to 2 small fixed lights above, and one set-back bay with 4-panel door below and fixed light above; roof hipped at left. At right taller build continues with side steps to 4-panel door, and metal mullions and transoms to 6-light windows with flat stone lintels and projecting stone sills. Roof has gable copings, and butting onto front slope is the roof of a bridge at right with window strip above weatherboarding. Front to river has one extra storey below to water's edge, with metal mullions and transoms to fixed lights, and tiers of end plates for cast-iron reinforcing rods at right of tallest build. HISTORY: this was the last of many industrial buildings erected on the river in Barnard Castle; it was not water-powered. From 1935-83, it was a factory for the North of England Chamois Leather Co, used for making protective clothing for the steel industry and the Admiralty. Only this mill, Thorngate Mill (qv) and the mill at No.22 Bridgegate (qv) now survive. (Teesdale Buildings Preservation Trust: Rackham RA: Barnard Castle and Teesdale, A Victorian Perspective: Barnard Castle: 1988-: PLATES 11 AND 28).

Listing NGR: NZ0492316004

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 388852

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Rackham, R A, Barnard Castle and Teesdale A Victorian Perspective, (1988)

End of official listing