OBSERVATORY

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1201700

Date first listed: 23-Jan-1973

Statutory Address: OBSERVATORY

Map

Ordnance survey map of OBSERVATORY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1201700 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Nov-2018 at 22:49:53.

Location

Statutory Address: OBSERVATORY

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Oldham (Metropolitan Authority)

National Grid Reference: SD 93111 03961

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

OLDHAM

SD90SW ALEXANDRA PARK 780-1/3/4

Observatory

23/01/73

II

Observatory in form of pagoda. 1899. Stone, with polished granite plinth and slate and leaded roof. Square in plan with double pagoda roof. Single room plan, raised up steps. Central entrance and flanking windows, all with wrought-iron screens. Segmental arch to door, curved angle moulding to windows. Three low openings above string course above. Similar rhythm repeated in other elevations, but with wide central blind window space. Angle piers with foliate capitals in upper section carry heavily coved overhanging roof. First tier of roof has scrolled wrought-iron finials at angles, and segmental blind dormers with scrolled wood decorative panelling. Enriched timber screen above carries upper tier of roof which is leaded and ogivally-arched with wood finials at angles. Small onion dome above surmounted by weather vane. Inscriptions in polished granite in return walls of base record that the observatory was erected in commemoration of the jubilee of the incorporation of the Borough, 1849-1899, and list the names of members of the Sanitary Committee of the Borough.

Listing NGR: SD9311103961

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 388865

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing