THE KING'S HEAD

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1201720
Date first listed:
10-Jun-1974
Statutory Address:
7, MARKET PLACE
Statutory Address:
THE KING'S HEAD, 5, MARKET PLACE

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE KING'S HEAD
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1201720 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Oct-2019 at 12:34:09.

Location

Statutory Address:
7, MARKET PLACE
Statutory Address:
THE KING'S HEAD, 5, MARKET PLACE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
North Yorkshire
District:
Ryedale (District Authority)
Parish:
Malton
National Grid Reference:
SE 78519 71714

Details

MALTON

SE780715 MARKET PLACE 801-1/8/51 (North West side) 10/06/74 Nos.5 AND 7 The King's Head (5)

GV II

Inn and shop. Mid C18, probably with earlier origins, re-roofed and altered in c1913 following fire. Red brick in English garden-wall bond, front to No.5 rendered and largely obscured by ivy; carriage arch of stone; timber eaves cornice to No.7; pantile roof with coped gable and vistigial kneeler to right, and brick end and centre stacks. 2-storey-and-attic; 4-window front. No.5 has plain doorcase with panelled double doors. To left of doorway, canted bay window with small-pane sashes; to right, unequal 30-pane sash; both windows have painted stone sills. Further right is an elliptical carriage arch of rusticated voussoirs. On first floor, three 16-pane sashes; in attic, 2 oriel windows beneath barge-boarded gables. No.7 has shop front of panelled pilasters and moulded cornice on carved brackets; recessed glazed door to left of 4-light canted bay window over panelled riser. Door and windows have cambered transoms. First floor window is 4-pane sash with stone sill and wedge lintel. Flat-topped dormer with sash window in attic. The King's Head has associations with Edmund Burke, secretary to Lord Rockingham from 1756, and MP for Malton, 1780-94.

Listing NGR: SE7851971714

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
389430
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 07 Mar 2002
Reference: IOE01/05789/03
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Turner. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].