VENTILATION STATION OF THE MERSEY ROAD TUNNEL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1201734
Date first listed:
10-Oct-1980
Statutory Address:
VENTILATION STATION OF THE MERSEY ROAD TUNNEL, SIDNEY STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of VENTILATION STATION OF THE MERSEY ROAD TUNNEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1201734 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Aug-2019 at 12:39:34.

Location

Statutory Address:
VENTILATION STATION OF THE MERSEY ROAD TUNNEL, SIDNEY STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Wirral (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SJ 32500 89232

Details

SJ3289 789-1/9/147 BIRKENHEAD SIDNEY STREET (North side) Ventilation Station of the Mersey Road Tunnel 10/10/80

GV II Ventilation Station to the Mersey Road Tunnel. 1925-1934. By Sir Basil Mott and J.A. Brodie, as engineers and Herbert J.Rowse, architect. Brick faced, steel framed construction. Massive twin towers, largely blind but with double doors in south elevation divided by 3 blind lancet slits. Doors have chevron bands, and architraves formed of brick in rippled courses, with central wing motifs. Ribbed brick quoins to towers, blind lancets and geometrical ribbed decoration towards the top. Built to house fans as part of the ventilation system for the road tunnel.

Listing NGR: SJ3250289231

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
389349
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 29 Aug 2005
Reference: IOE01/12601/30
Rights: Copyright IoE Dr Geoffrey Court. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].