Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1201794.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Oct-2021 at 06:43:50.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

City of Wolverhampton (Metropolitan Authority)
Non Civil Parish
National Grid Reference:
SJ 89132 00292


SJ8900 CHURCH ROAD 895-1/9/110 TETTENHALL 29-JUL-50 (North side) Church of St Michael and All Angels


Church. C15 west tower; south porch, 1882-3, by G.E. Street; nave, chancel and vestry rebuilt after fire of 1950 in 1952-5, to the designs of Bernard Miller. Ashlar with tile roofs. 2-bay Lady Chapel with north vestry; three-bay nave has lean-to aisles with cross gables, south porch and west tower. Decorated Gothic style, Miller's work parts a free interpretation of the Gothic style. Projecting Lady Chapel has coped parapet and gable with cross; round windows and 4-light east window; small projection with entrance to south. 6-window vestry range to north has 2-light straight-headed windows and north entrance with overlight and keystone. Aisles have 3 gabled windows of 3 lights with flanking blind lights between gabled buttresses; south porch has coped gable with cross and arch dying into jambs between diagonal buttresses, rib vault and inner entrance of 2 orders; clerestory has seven 2-light segmental-headed windows. South-east bell turret and stack. 2-stage tower has moulded plinth and diagonal buttresses; 3-light west window with renewed tracery, hood with beast stops; similar stops to top stage sill courses; 2-light louvred bell openings; top cornice with gargoyles and embattled parapet; north and south quatrefoils below bell openings with cornices. INTERIOR: nave arcades on squat piers with foliate capitals; deep-arch-braced oak roofs, those to aisles with inverted hip form. The altar was always placed centrally in the crossing, so that the Lady Chapel takes the place of the traditional Chancel, screened by a low wall to arch with pulpit to one side. This was replaced by an openwork oak screen in 1985. Hanging bell-form lights. Most furnishings also designed by Miller, whose emblem of a bee can be seen in the altar rails. Round font with mosaic decoration by G. Mayer Marten hints at Miller's love of more theatrical motifs. East window by G Cooper-Abbs of Exeter.

Bernard Miller, long associated with the Liverpool School of Architecture, built many churches in the 1930s with surprisingly art deco flourishes. Tettenhall is very different. The design is strongly arts-and-crafts inspired, its broad, light form and reticulated Gothic reminiscent of E S Prior's St Andrew's, Roker (grade I) of 1906. This lavish 1950s' recreation may be compared with the slightly later work of George Pace, mainly working in Yorkshire and around Manchester, who also reinterpreted this style in a modern manner.

Listing NGR: SJ8913200292


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Staffordshire, (1974), 5


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 18 Oct 1999
Reference: IOE01/02124/07
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr D.R. Smith. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].