GIFFARD ARMS PUBLIC HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1201893
Date first listed:
31-Mar-1992
Statutory Address:
GIFFARD ARMS PUBLIC HOUSE, 64 AND 65, VICTORIA STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of GIFFARD ARMS PUBLIC HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1201893 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Aug-2019 at 01:54:00.

Location

Statutory Address:
GIFFARD ARMS PUBLIC HOUSE, 64 AND 65, VICTORIA STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
City of Wolverhampton (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SO 91299 98566

Details

WOLVERHAMPTON

SO9198NW VICTORIA STREET 895-1/11/348 (West side) Nos.64 AND 65 Giffard Arms Public House

II

Public House. 1922. By J.A.Swan. Ashlar with snecked coursing; tile roof with ashlar stacks. Early Tudor style. 3 storeys. Wide full-height canted bay window with flanking entrances; top cornice with carved bosses, the central boss of man peering through arch, and high coped parapet. Windows of elliptical-headed lights with transoms and leaded glazing; similar blind panels between storeys have escutcheons with Tudor rose, portcullis and town arms; richly moulded mullions, transoms and angle shafts. Entrances have 3-centred heads and hood moulds with fleurons and stops; overlights have 3-centred heads, panels above have falcon and hops crests (q.v. Springfield Brewery, Cambridge Street) and lettering: W B and A.D.1922; battened doors with square lights. Signboard on enriched timber bracket; enriched rainwater heads and square downspouts. Coped gables and end stacks. INTERIOR has inglenook fireplace and bay window to rear. A good example of this style of building, with well carved details.

Listing NGR: SO9129998566

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
378628
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 25 Feb 2001
Reference: IOE01/02934/17
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr D.R. Smith. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].