CONSERVATORY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1201899
Date first listed:
31-Mar-1992
Statutory Address:
CONSERVATORY

Map

Ordnance survey map of CONSERVATORY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1201899 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Aug-2019 at 00:16:06.

Location

Statutory Address:
CONSERVATORY

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
City of Wolverhampton (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SO 90526 99267

Details

WOLVERHAMPTON

SO99NW WEST PARK 895-1/5/360 Conservatory

GV II

Conservatory. 1896. By Dan Gibson. Brick with terracotta dressings; timber superstructure on iron stanchions. 3 gabled bays, the central bay with rectangular lantern; gabled porches to front and returns. Bays defined by terracotta Ionic pilasters; dentilled timber entablature and dentilled gables; small-paned glazing in round-headed panels; similar panels to lantern, which has glazed domical vault. Porch has paired Ionic angle pilasters and entablature; paired half-glazed doors with fanlight; steps had terracotta urns to foot, missing at time of resurvey (1990). Similar porches to returns, gabled to front. West Park was laid out by V.H. Vertegans, 1879-81, on the site of Broad Meadows racecourse. (The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Staffordshire: London: 1974-: P.326; Wolverhampton Borough Council: Report on West Park: 1989-; Register of Parks and Gardens.).

Listing NGR: SO9052699267

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
378644
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Staffordshire, (1974), 326
Other
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 43 West Midlands,
Report on West Park, (1989)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 14 Oct 2006
Reference: IOE01/15814/28
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Peter Garratt. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].