This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1201946



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: North Yorkshire

District: Ryedale

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Malton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 05-Apr-1993

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 389504

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



SE780715 RAILWAY STREET 801-1/8/122 (East side) R Yates & Sons


Iron foundry, now engineering works. Mid C19, with later alteration. For R Yates and Sons Ltd. Pink and cream mottled brick in stretcher bond, with orange-red brick quoins and sandstone dressings; slate roof with coped gables. L-shaped on plan. 2-storey 5-bay range, with 3-bay crosswing gable at right end, on double chamfered plinth. Bays divided by pilasters on double chamfered bases. Central glazed doors, now disused, in 5-bay range, beneath semicircular brick quoined arch on moulded stone imposts, and coved hood. Tympanum contains wooden panels, with painted inscriptions: "R YATES & SONS LTD Established.1845" and "Ransomes Patent, Ploughs and Irons, Kept in Stock." Above arch, 2 keyed oculi flank stepped brick keyblock. Ground floor windows on each side are segment-headed with chamfered stone sills; and on first floor windows have square-arched quoined surrounds, over stone sillband. Broad stepped brick eaves cornice. Crosswing gable has round-arched entrance of 2 orders, with glazed doors and fanlight, between tall round-headed windows. Above door is 4-light window with single-pane sashes, flanked by keyed oculi. Stepped brick gable eaves band encloses painted panel with RY cipher between the words "EST.1845". Right return: 2-storeys-and-basement; 12-bay front. Bays divided by pilasters on basement plinth, with plain imposts and roundels in frieze blocks. Tall segment-arched doorway with steel double doors and double-transomed overlight towards right end. Basement openings are segment-arched. Ground- and first-floor windows are tripartite, those on ground floor with transoms, beneath cambered arches; some altered.

Listing NGR: SE7872571558

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SE 78725 71558


© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1201946 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Sep-2018 at 10:53:06.

End of official listing