BRISTOL HIGH CROSS IN EAST CORNER OF BERKELEY SQUARE GARDENS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1202001

Date first listed: 04-Mar-1977

Statutory Address: BRISTOL HIGH CROSS IN EAST CORNER OF BERKELEY SQUARE GARDENS, BERKELEY SQUARE

Map

Ordnance survey map of BRISTOL HIGH CROSS IN EAST CORNER OF BERKELEY SQUARE GARDENS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1202001 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Nov-2018 at 04:52:03.

Location

Statutory Address: BRISTOL HIGH CROSS IN EAST CORNER OF BERKELEY SQUARE GARDENS, BERKELEY SQUARE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: City of Bristol (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Non Civil Parish

National Grid Reference: ST5804073087

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BRISTOL

ST5873SW BERKELEY SQUARE 901-1/10/17 Bristol High Cross in east corner of 04/03/77 Berkeley Square gardens

II

High cross. 1851. By John Norton. Carving by Harry Hems of Exeter. Limestone ashlar. Plinth with 4 statues of seated monarchs under canted hoods with ogee finials, pinnacles between, and a square spirelet with crocketed ribs and a foliate finial. The original cross was carved in 1373, removed to College Green in 1733, and again to Stourhead in 1768, where it still stands. The replacement, which had 7 statues, stood on College Green until replaced by the statue of Queen Victoria (qv). The truncated cross came to Berkeley Square in 1950.

Listing NGR: ST5804073087

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 378961

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing