WALLS AND GAZEBO ALONG NORTH WEST SIDE OF SANCTUARY GARDENS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1202078

Date first listed: 04-Mar-1977

Date of most recent amendment: 30-Dec-1994

Statutory Address: WALLS AND GAZEBO ALONG NORTH WEST SIDE OF SANCTUARY GARDENS, CHURCH ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of WALLS AND GAZEBO ALONG NORTH WEST SIDE OF SANCTUARY GARDENS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1202078 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Oct-2018 at 03:32:24.

Location

Statutory Address: WALLS AND GAZEBO ALONG NORTH WEST SIDE OF SANCTUARY GARDENS, CHURCH ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: City of Bristol (Unitary Authority)

National Grid Reference: ST 55656 75246

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BRISTOL

901-1/53/1778 CHURCH ROAD 04-MAR-77 SNEYD PARK (Southeast side) WALLS AND GAZEBO ALONG NORTH WEST SIDE OF SANCTUARY GARDENS (Formerly listed as: CHURCH ROAD SNEYD PARK WALL AND GAZEBO TO SANCTUARY GARDENS O N SOUTH SIDE 100 YARDS NORTH EAST OF K NOLL HILL)

GV II

Wall and gazebo. c1880. Squared Lias rubble, red brick and limestone dressings. Apsidal gazebo and two flanking walls immediately to either side of the gazebo. Byzantine style. Segmental arch over the front of the gazebo, which has a back wall with a Lias plinth, alternate courses of red brick and coursed limestone, below an arcade of semicircular arches; either side at the rear are buttresses. The wall to the left has 2 lunettes. The wall to the right is blind but has the same banding of the gazebo.

INTERIOR: a mosaic floor and coved, wooden panelled ceiling. In front are 4 octagonal piers, presumably from a pergola as well as a series of low walls defining a circular courtyard with central plain fountain.

HISTORY: Sneyd Park House was built in 1880 for the Mardon family: Henry Dare Bryan was its designer who was almost certainly responsible for this garden feature too. Sneyd Park House and its two lodges, located to the south east, are listed separately.

SUMMARY OF IMPORTANCE: Given their fine architectural detailing and their importance in the former gardens related to this 1880 house by Henry Bryan, the gazebo and immediately adjacent sections of wall in banded brick and limestone clearly merit their listed status. Although clearly of local interest, the other stretches of wall from Sneyd Park Gardens are not sufficiently complete and lack the architectural detailing required for listing.

Listing NGR: ST5565675247

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 379168

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing