CITY ROAD BAPTIST CHAPEL AND ATTACHED STEPS AND RAILINGS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1202082
Date first listed:
12-Sep-1990
Date of most recent amendment:
30-Dec-1994
Statutory Address:
CITY ROAD BAPTIST CHAPEL AND ATTACHED STEPS AND RAILINGS, CITY ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CITY ROAD BAPTIST CHAPEL AND ATTACHED STEPS AND RAILINGS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1202082 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Oct-2019 at 22:13:54.

Location

Statutory Address:
CITY ROAD BAPTIST CHAPEL AND ATTACHED STEPS AND RAILINGS, CITY ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
City of Bristol (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
ST 59130 73843

Details

BRISTOL

ST5973NW CITY ROAD, Stokes Croft 901-1/6/2021 (South West side) 12/09/90 City Road Baptist Chapel and attached steps and railings (Formerly Listed as: CITY ROAD City Road Baptist Chapel)

GV II

Baptist chapel. 1861. By James Medland and AW Maberley. Snecked rubble with limestone dressings and a tile roof. Aisled single-cell plan. Italianate style. W front has a tall central gable with a Lombard frieze, parapet with rope moulding and a central square pinnacle, flanked by clasping buttresses forming small turrets with octagonal pinnacles; a semicircular-arched door of 3 orders has foliate capitals to shafts, foliate decoration to the inner arches and rope and flowers to the outer; shoulder-arch door and CITY ROAD BAPTIST CHAPEL 1862 in the tympanum; a band runs across above the door reading STRIVE TO ENTER IN AT THE STRAIT GATE, below a wheel window with 12 trefoil-headed lights and polychrome voussoirs. The W ends of the aisles have similar buttresses and parapets, and windows with 2 semicircular-arched lights with shafts, set in a semicircular arch. 5-bay N aisle has shallow buttresses and Lombard frieze, and windows as the W end with foliate roundels in the tympana, beneath inserted round windows of 1905 breaking the frieze; similar smaller arched windows form a clerestory below a corbel table. Similar S aisle has a crypt, with plain semicircular-arched windows separated by splayed buttresses, a door to the W and 2 small set-backs above. 2-storey; 3-window range Jubilee Chapel dated 1885 attached to E end has round-headed windows and a shallow porch with a semicircular-arch doorway with zigzag moulding and a round window above. INTERIOR: 4-bay aisles with moulded arches on richly-carved capitals; bracketed gallery to sides and W end with an openwork front and Lombard frieze; round-headed doorways with dogtooth architraves to E and W; arch-braced king-post roof. FITTINGS: mid C19 benches and decoratively carved pulpit. SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: Pennant stone steps up to the W front from the S, and fleur-de-lys railings to the front area and N sides. (Gomme A, Jenner M and Little B: Bristol, An Architectural History: Bristol: 1979-: 384).

Listing NGR: ST5913073843

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
379183
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Gomme, A H, Jenner, M, Little, B D G, Bristol, An Architectural History, (1979), 384

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 30 Jun 2001
Reference: IOE01/11574/04
Rights: Copyright IoE Ms Ruth Povey. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].