BISHOP'S HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1202102

Date first listed: 08-Jan-1959

Statutory Address: BISHOP'S HOUSE, CLIFTON HILL

Map

Ordnance survey map of BISHOP'S HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1202102 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Nov-2018 at 03:37:01.

Location

Statutory Address: BISHOP'S HOUSE, CLIFTON HILL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: City of Bristol (Unitary Authority)

National Grid Reference: ST 57440 72929

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BRISTOL

ST5772NW CLIFTON HILL, Clifton 901-1/14/776 (North West side) 08/01/59 Bishop's House

GV II*

House. Dated 1711. Possibly by John Strachan. Limestone ashlar, render, gable stacks and slate hipped roof. Double-depth plan. Early Georgian style. 2 storeys, attic and basement; 7-window range. A good symmetrical front with a 2-window left-hand wing; the central 1-window entrance section is banded and broken forward, banded outer pilasters, to a frieze and cornice, with a parapet with balustraded sections to the windows and urns on the corners. The doorway has fluted Ionic pilasters to a pulvinated frieze and segmental dated pediment, rectangular fanlight and 6-panel door. The window above has a pediment, keyed architraves and segmental heads, flat to the left-hand section, to 6/6-pane sashes. Tooled Pennant ground-floor quoin strip to the left-hand corner. INTERIOR: good joinery, large central entrance stair hall divided by a segmental arch with fluted pilasters, with half panelling, to a rear open-well stair with column-on-vase balusters, ramped moulded rail and a wide curtail; fully-panelled right-hand front room has a marble fire surround; panelled shutters and 6-panel doors. HISTORICAL NOTE: the first of an important group of early and mid C18 houses built in Clifton. Attribution on stylistic grounds. (Mowl T: To Build The Second City: Bristol: 1991-: 14; Gomme A, Jenner M and Little B: Bristol, An Architectural History: Bristol: 1979-: 123).

Listing NGR: ST5743972931

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 379235

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Gomme, A H, Jenner, M, Little, B D G, Bristol, An Architectural History, (1979), 123
Mowl, T, To Build a Second City, (1991), 14

End of official listing