This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

ROTUNDA, BASTION AND CONNECTING WALL APPROXIMATELY 150 METRES SOUTH WEST OF GOLDNEY HOUSE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: ROTUNDA, BASTION AND CONNECTING WALL APPROXIMATELY 150 METRES SOUTH WEST OF GOLDNEY HOUSE

List entry Number: 1202106

Location

ROTUNDA, BASTION AND CONNECTING WALL APPROXIMATELY 150 METRES SOUTH WEST OF GOLDNEY HOUSE, CLIFTON HILL

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: City of Bristol

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 08-Jan-1959

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 379245

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BRISTOL

ST5772NW CLIFTON HILL, Clifton 901-1/14/786 (South side) 08/01/59 Rotunda, bastion and connecting wall approx 150m south-west of Goldney House

GV II*

Garden house and bastion with connecting retaining walls. 1753-7. Render and brick with limestone dressings, red rubble retaining walls. Gothick style, based on Batty Langley design. Raised round summer house connected to round bastion by a length of raised walk. Buttressed retaining wall; summer house rendered to the lower part, string over the windows and cornice, with a W doorway and 4 south windows with ogee head and moulded surround, 9-pane windows and half-glazed door, 3 round windows set in matching false N windows. Crenellated parapet with ogee merlons. Surrounding brick wall with ashlar blocks. Basement room with shallow dome. INTERIOR: a plain bench to the wall. Built by Thomas Goldney as part of his decorative landscape to the house. Formerly a rotunda of columns to an entablature stood on the surrounding wall. Possibly by either James Bridges or Thomas Paty using Langley's pattern book. (Gomme A, Jenner M and Little B: Bristol, An Architectural History: Bristol: 1979-: 164).

Listing NGR: ST5733772694

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Gomme, A H, Jenner, M, Little, B D G, Bristol, An Architectural History, (1979), 164
Other
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic interest in England, Part 1 Avon,

National Grid Reference: ST 57337 72694

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1202106 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Aug-2017 at 08:34:23.

End of official listing