This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1202126



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.


District: City of Bristol

District Type: Unitary Authority


National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 08-Jan-1959

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 379300

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



ST5872NW COLLEGE GREEN 901-1/15/57 (North East side) 08/01/59 No.30


House, now shop and office. c1730. Possibly by James Paty the elder; ground floor 1865-6 by Foster and Wood. Limestone ashlar, red sandstone ashlar and granite, brick gable stacks and a slate roof. Mid Georgian style with Venetian Gothic Revival-style ground floor. Double-depth plan. 3 storeys; 5-window range. Ground-floor arcade of 5 semicircular arches with moulded hoods, the left-hand one to a through passage set apart, with granite piers and carved marble capitals to the inner windows, sandstone piers to the ends with moulded capitals, with inscribed foliate decoration with black mortar; across the top is a carved limestone band of acanthus leaves. The upper floors have outer pilasters strips, the middle 3 windows broken forward with pilasters, to a band and string, modillion cornice and parapet. Plate-glass ground-floor windows, small 5 stepped voussoirs to first-floor sashes, 3/6 to second floor. The left-hand arch to an open carriage passage with corbels to C19 roof; a good 6-panel side door to the upper floors has back cross-boarding. INTERIOR: ground floor with cast-iron stanchions to roof and moulded corbels. First-floor has a left-hand open-well stair with an uncut string, stick balusters, column newels and a ramped rail.

Listing NGR: ST5839972824

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: ST 58394 72820


© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1202126 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Sep-2018 at 09:59:12.

End of official listing