This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1202130



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.


District: City of Bristol

District Type: Unitary Authority


National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 30-Dec-1994

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 379307

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



ST5872NW COLLEGE GREEN 901-1/15/64 (South side) Abbey House, Cathedral School


Porter's lodge and gateway to Augustinian monastery, now school. Mid C12 archway in C17 house, rebuilt mid C20. Limestone ashlar, red sandstone rubble and render, tiled cross gabled roof. Double-depth plan. Late Norman-style archway. 3 storeys; 2-gable range. A pair of gables to the W front has a left-hand semicircular archway of 3 orders with scallop capitals, outer arch with woven pattern moulding, the inner 2 with zigzag, to an inner 4-centre arch, with 2 small relief shields above; to the E side a similar arch has a rounded surround. Mid C20 metal casements above. Gabled right-hand return of red Pennant rubble. INTERIOR: rebuilt mid C20; the passage between the archways has a concrete roof. HISTORICAL NOTE: part of the Augustinian abbey of St Augustine (qv), a C12 archway into a courtyard, the C17 house built over it gutted by fire in the Second World War, and rebuilt internally. The arch closely related to that in the N elevation of the Cathedral School (qv), and to the Great Gateway (qv). (The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: North Somerset and Bristol: London: 1958-: 386; Gomme A, Jenner M and Little B: Bristol, An Architectural History: Bristol: 1979-: 17; Archaeologica: 1911-).

Listing NGR: ST5829772626

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Gomme, A H, Jenner, M, Little, B D G, Bristol, An Architectural History, (1979), 17
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: North Somerset and Bristol, (1958), 386
'Archaeologia' in Archaeologia , (1911)

National Grid Reference: ST 58297 72626


© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1202130 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 26-Sep-2018 at 12:38:10.

End of official listing