CLIFTON COLLEGE, PERCIVAL BUILDINGS AND WILSON TOWER

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1202134
Date first listed:
01-Nov-1966
Date of most recent amendment:
30-Dec-1994
Statutory Address:
CLIFTON COLLEGE, PERCIVAL BUILDINGS AND WILSON TOWER, COLLEGE ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CLIFTON COLLEGE, PERCIVAL BUILDINGS AND WILSON TOWER
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1202134 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Aug-2019 at 14:44:39.

Location

Statutory Address:
CLIFTON COLLEGE, PERCIVAL BUILDINGS AND WILSON TOWER, COLLEGE ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
City of Bristol (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
ST 56998 73886

Details

BRISTOL

ST5773NW COLLEGE ROAD, Clifton 901-1/2/827 (North East side) 01/11/66 Clifton College, Percival Buildings and Wilson Tower (Formerly Listed as: COLLEGE ROAD, Clifton Clifton College Big School, School House and Wilson Tower)

GV II

Classrooms, library and tower. 1869. Tower of 1889, by Hansom and Bond. Snecked Brandon Hill Grit with limestone dressings and ashlar, ridge stacks and slate cross gabled roof. Single-depth plan, forming NW side of quadrangle. Collegiate Tudor Gothic Revival style, with Decorated Gothic Revival-style tracery. Percival Buildings are a 2 storeys; 9-window range. Cloistered ground floor with central gabled gatehouse, first-floor mullion windows with traceried heads, buttresses and crenellated parapets. Open 2-centre arches to vaulted cloister have attached columns and parapet; behind, first-floor flat-headed windows to a parapet. Central projecting gatehouse has diagonal buttresses to the ground floor, and 3 orders to 2-centre archway; attached corner columns to the first floor run into finials with dragons, a canted oriel with central cross window, parapet, and an ashlar gable with a blind 3-light panel and griffon finial. Flagged archway beneath has benches, to 9-window rear range with wide 2-centred arched ground-floor and 3-light first-floor windows, divided by buttresses. Right-hand Wilson Tower has 4 stages with large octagonal corner turrets divided by strings, that to SW with an ashlar top stage with a pyramidal roof with crockets. Wide 4-centre archway has a label with head stops; 2 storey canted oriel above on fan corbels, has 4-light windows, separated by a band of shields, and with a parapet with panel tracery; paired 2-light third-stage windows, below a cornice with gargoyles. INTERIOR: ground-floor classrooms with ceiling beams of corbels, first-floor full-length library has cusped principal rafters on octagonal aisle posts. Tower includes Council room with good Tudor-style fireplace, panelled walls, and a panelled ceiling and doors. (Gomme A, Jenner M and Little B: Bristol, An Architectural History: Bristol: 1979-: 320; The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: North Somerset and Bristol: London: 1958-: 419).

Listing NGR: ST5699873886

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
379323
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Gomme, A H, Jenner, M, Little, B D G, Bristol, An Architectural History, (1979), 320
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: North Somerset and Bristol, (1958), 419

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 30 Aug 2004
Reference: IOE01/11794/23
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David J Lewis. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].