56, CORN STREET

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1202154

Date first listed: 08-Jan-1959

Date of most recent amendment: 30-Dec-1994

Statutory Address: 56, CORN STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of 56, CORN STREET
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1202154 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Nov-2018 at 19:06:20.

Location

Statutory Address: 56, CORN STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: City of Bristol (Unitary Authority)

National Grid Reference: ST 58865 73024

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BRISTOL

ST5873SE CORN STREET, Centre 901-1/11/573 (South East side) 08/01/59 No.56 (Formerly Listed as: CORN STREET (South side) Nos.46 AND 56 Exchange Buildings)

GV II*

Coffee house. 1782. By Thomas Paty. Limestone ashlar, roof not visible. Single-depth plan, upper floors projecting back over the N aisle of All Saints Church (qv). Palladian style. 3 storeys; 3-window range. A symmetrical front has a pedimented centre set forward with a ground-floor impost band, plat band, rusticated quoins above to a frieze, cornice and parapet. Ground-floor arcade of keyed semicircular arches with moulded archivolts, plate-glass below upper panes; architraves above with sill blocks, and pediments to the first floor, to 6/6-pane sashes. Matching right-hand return, slightly narrower, with a left-hand doorway, blind right-hand ground-floor arch and central upper windows. INTERIOR: C20 stair on the ground floor, central dogleg stair to the upper floors with turned balusters, column newels and ball finials. Built by Paty to balance Glascodine's matching Old Post Office (qv) at the opposite side of the Exchange (qv), and forming a formal composition with them. (Gomme A, Jenner M and Little B: Bristol, An Architectural History: Bristol: 1979-: 149; The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: North Somerset and Bristol: London: 1958-: 416).

Listing NGR: ST5886573024

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 379379

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Gomme, A H, Jenner, M, Little, B D G, Bristol, An Architectural History, (1979), 149
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: North Somerset and Bristol, (1958), 416

End of official listing