HAMBLEDON HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1202174
Date first listed:
04-Mar-1977
Date of most recent amendment:
30-Dec-1994
Statutory Address:
HAMBLEDON HOUSE, 18 AND 20, COTHAM ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of HAMBLEDON HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1202174 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Aug-2019 at 00:12:24.

Location

Statutory Address:
HAMBLEDON HOUSE, 18 AND 20, COTHAM ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
City of Bristol (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
ST 58416 73889

Details

BRISTOL

ST5873NW COTHAM ROAD, Cotham 901-1/4/1174 (South side) 04/03/77 Nos.18 AND 20 Hambledon House (Formerly Listed as: COTHAM ROAD (South side) Nos.18 AND 20)

GV II

House, now a pair of attached houses. 1830. Limestone ashlar with a C20 tiled mansard. Double-depth plan. Neoclassical style. 2 storeys, basement and attic; 4-window range. The outer windows are flanked by giant pilasters, with moulded caps, to an entablature, cornice and balustraded parapet, which steps forward between the pilasters. Ground-floor windows have sill blocks and console canopies, first-floor windows in shallow recessed surounds, with plate-glass sashes. The entrance is in the rebuilt rear elevation. INTERIOR not inspected. The first house built after Cotham Road was opened in 1829. 'It is ... a prototype of the long ranges of pilastered Neoclassical pairs whose purity was eventually lost in undisciplined Italianate display.' (Gomme). (Gomme A, Jenner M and Little B: Bristol, An Architectural History: Bristol: 1979-: 273).

Listing NGR: ST5841673889

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
379435
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Gomme, A H, Jenner, M, Little, B D G, Bristol, An Architectural History, (1979), 273

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 30 Jun 2001
Reference: IOE01/06899/14
Rights: Copyright IoE Ms Ruth Povey. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].