A BOND TOBACCO WAREHOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1202189

Date first listed: 03-May-1988

Date of most recent amendment: 30-Dec-1994

Statutory Address: A BOND TOBACCO WAREHOUSE, CUMBERLAND ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of A BOND TOBACCO WAREHOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1202189 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Dec-2018 at 22:34:13.

Location

Statutory Address: A BOND TOBACCO WAREHOUSE, CUMBERLAND ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: City of Bristol (Unitary Authority)

National Grid Reference: ST 56992 72109

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BRISTOL

ST5672 CUMBERLAND ROAD, Floating Harbour 901-1/41/1294 (North side) 03/05/88 A Bond Tobacco Warehouse (Formerly Listed as: SMEATON ROAD (South side) 'A Bond' Tobacco Warehouse)

GV II

Bonded tobacco warehouse. 1905. Designed by the Docks Committee engineer. Built by William Cowlin and Sons. Patent red bricks, blue engineering bricks, Pennant stone steps, terracotta details and Welsh slate roof; 'A' Bond has a frame of steel stanchions on the lower 2 floors and iron on the rest, carrying RSJs to segmental-arched concrete floor slabs. Open plan, in 2 equal parts separated by central spine wall. 9 storeys; 18-window range. Ground floor in black brick with a low plinth, the remainder in red, with strings at 3, 5, 7 and 9 storeys, cornice, of black moulded brick, and stone parapet. Wide clasping pilasters, to a parapet with sunken panels; rear elevation has a central bay between the pilasters. Ground-floor front has round-arched doorways and windows: from the outside, one door, 2 windows and 2 doors, either side of a central door and flanking windows in the central projecting block, with Pennant stone steps up; the paired flanking doorways are shaded by a cantilevered steel canopy and have sliding steel doors. Upper-floor windows are almost square with terracotta cills and pronounced, chamfered keys and chamfered, stopped jambs, 1:2:1 in central bay and equally spaced either side between the unpierced pilasters. Top floor is roof-lit only. INTERIOR: central entrance lobby to lateral staircase, giving each side on to a 10x8 bay floor with central lift shaft. Columns decrease in size to upper floors, carrying deep primary and secondary beams, with haunched connections; some floors with wood block flooring. Steel truss north light roofs. HISTORICAL NOTE: 'A' Bond was the first of the 3 brick Bonds in the Cumberland Basin. (Gomme A, Jenner M and Little B: Bristol, An Architectural History: Bristol: 1979-: 341; Lord J and Southam J: The Floating Harbour: Bristol: 1983-: 94).

Listing NGR: ST5699272109

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 379481

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Gomme, A H, Jenner, M, Little, B D G, Bristol, An Architectural History, (1979), 341
Lord, J, Southam, J, The Floating Harbour, (1983), 94

End of official listing