OLD CITY GAOL, SOUTH EAST PERIMETER WALL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1202190

Date first listed: 08-Aug-1975

Date of most recent amendment: 30-Dec-1994

Statutory Address: OLD CITY GAOL, SOUTH EAST PERIMETER WALL, CUMBERLAND ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of OLD CITY GAOL, SOUTH EAST PERIMETER WALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1202190 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Nov-2018 at 14:25:42.

Location

Statutory Address: OLD CITY GAOL, SOUTH EAST PERIMETER WALL, CUMBERLAND ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: City of Bristol (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Non Civil Parish

National Grid Reference: ST5862372141

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BRISTOL

ST5872 CUMBERLAND ROAD, Floating Harbour 901-1/42/1296 (North West side) 08/08/75 Old City Gaol, south-east perimeter wall (Formerly Listed as: CUMBERLAND ROAD Wall of Western Fuel Company premises)

II

Perimeter wall to the old gaol, now warehouse. 1832. By TS Pope. Carboniferous limestone ashlar and coursed pennant. A tall, curved wall with broad buttresses has an elliptical-arched carriage entrance at the E end with a key dated 1890; battered N wall runs W from there. HISTORICAL NOTE: the City Gaol had 5 wings centred on the entrance gate (qv), and this is the remains of the eastern wing. The city gaol was largely demolished in 1898; the surviving entrance gateway is 200m to the W (qv).

Listing NGR: ST5862372141

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 379483

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing