NUMBERS 32 AND 34 AND ATTACHED FRONT GARDEN WALLS AND PIERS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1202200
Date first listed:
30-Dec-1994
Statutory Address:
NUMBERS 32 AND 34 AND ATTACHED FRONT GARDEN WALLS AND PIERS, 32 AND 34, DOWNLEAZE

Map

Ordnance survey map of NUMBERS 32 AND 34 AND ATTACHED FRONT GARDEN WALLS AND PIERS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1202200 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Aug-2019 at 00:40:04.

Location

Statutory Address:
NUMBERS 32 AND 34 AND ATTACHED FRONT GARDEN WALLS AND PIERS, 32 AND 34, DOWNLEAZE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
City of Bristol (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
ST 56526 75102

Details

BRISTOL

ST5675 DOWNLEAZE, Sneyd Park 901-1/31/1792 (South East side) Nos.32 AND 34 and attached front garden walls and piers

GV II

Pair of attached houses. Dated 1896. By Henry Dare Bryan. Snecked limestone rubble with limestone dressings, tile-hung second-floor gables, brick ridge and diagonally-set lateral and exterior stacks and plain tiled and concrete hipped and gabled roof. Double-depth plan. Queen Anne style. 3 storeys; 4-window range. A symmetrical pair with the entrances in the sides, projecting paired central gables, and stone-framed ground-floor mullion and transom windows with fine leaded casements. Carved doorcases have foliate corbels to wany brackets and a tiled canopy, 3-light overlight and a date panel, and an elliptical-arched battened 2-leaf door. The gables have 3-light windows, with small pediments on the ground floor, first-floor timber windows on small brackets with casements and glazing bars, and similar second-floor windows beneath shallow jettied timber-framed gables. Outer ground-floor square bays, flush with the central gables, have 4-light windows with a central fleur-de-lys and timber railings to the balconies above, which have Venetian windows with rubbed brick arches; large eaves dormers with bracketed windows and timber-framed gables. The rear elevation is flat with semicircular-arched stair lights and a single-storey service block. INTERIOR: hall screen with stained-glass door and side windows, a black and white tiled hall, elliptical arch to a dogleg stair with turned balusters and large turned newels, 5-panel doors, cornices and fireplaces. SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: attached front garden walls and piers with ball finials. Strongly influencd by Norman Shaw's Bedford Park, 1881.

Listing NGR: ST5652675102

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
379512
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 07 Jan 2001
Reference: IOE01/00179/15
Rights: Copyright IoE Mrs Joy Roddy. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].