NUMBER 3 AND ATTACHED FRONT BASEMENT RAILINGS AND GATE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1202205
Date first listed:
08-Jan-1959
Date of most recent amendment:
30-Dec-1994
Statutory Address:
NUMBER 3 AND ATTACHED FRONT BASEMENT RAILINGS AND GATE, 3, DOWRY SQUARE

Map

Ordnance survey map of NUMBER 3 AND ATTACHED FRONT BASEMENT RAILINGS AND GATE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1202205 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Oct-2019 at 11:36:55.

Location

Statutory Address:
NUMBER 3 AND ATTACHED FRONT BASEMENT RAILINGS AND GATE, 3, DOWRY SQUARE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
City of Bristol (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
ST 56977 72631

Details

BRISTOL

ST5672NE DOWRY SQUARE, Hotwells 901-1/13/1420 (West side) 08/01/59 No.3 and attached front basement railings and gate (Formerly Listed as: DOWRY SQUARE No.3)

GV II

Attached house. 1822. Limestone ashlar, party wall stacks and a pantile roof. Double-depth plan. Neoclassical style. 3 storeys, attic and basement; 3-window range. A composed front has banded ground-floor sections broken forward below a moulded band, and giant pilasters on the upper floors to an entablature and parapet. A left-hand doorway has a rectangular overlight and 6-panel door. Plain ground-floor windows, upper ones with incised surrounds, to 6/6-pane sashes, taller on the first floor; 2 hipped dormers. INTERIOR not inspected. SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: attached wrought-iron spear-headed basement area railings and gate with urn finials. Dowry Square was laid out by George Tully in 1720, and building continued until 1750. Each side had a 5-window middle house and outer 3-window ones, of brick, now altered or replaced, to various designs.

Listing NGR: ST5697772631

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
379526
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 15 Aug 1999
Reference: IOE01/01414/35
Rights: Copyright IoE Mrs Joy Roddy. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].