OLD CHAPEL BUILDINGS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1202235
Date first listed:
04-Mar-1977
Date of most recent amendment:
30-Dec-1994
Statutory Address:
OLD CHAPEL BUILDINGS, 653A, GLOUCESTER ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of OLD CHAPEL BUILDINGS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1202235.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 12-Nov-2019 at 23:29:59.

Location

Statutory Address:
OLD CHAPEL BUILDINGS, 653A, GLOUCESTER ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
City of Bristol (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
ST 59669 77211

Details

BRISTOL

ST57NE GLOUCESTER ROAD, Horfield 901-1/53/1411 (South East side) 04/03/77 No.653A Old Chapel Buildings (Formerly Listed as: GLOUCESTER ROAD, Avonmouth Disused Chapel of Horfield Barracks)

II

Chapel, now offices. 1857. By W Butterfield. Coursed, squared Pennant stone with limestone dressings and slate roof. Open plan; C20 inserted offices. Middle Pointed Gothic Revival style. 3-light E window under a hoodmould, above a small buttress, stepped copings and octagonal pinnacles above the eaves. The N side is 9 narrow lancets in 3 groups separated by buttresses, with a central door under a hood; similar S range with door at E end. The W front forms a bellcote gable articulated by a central projecting bay to the doorway, with a weathered top; pointed door with wide, chamfered reveals, a thin window above with a trefoil head, and a trefoil light above that; angle buttresses and scrolled coping kneelers. INTERIOR: c1990 office interior.

Listing NGR: ST5966977211

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
379609
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Reference: IOE01/00399/15
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Cyril N. Chapman. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].