This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

NUMBERS 11 AND 12 AND ATTACHED FRONT AREA RAILINGS

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: NUMBERS 11 AND 12 AND ATTACHED FRONT AREA RAILINGS

List entry Number: 1202256

Location

NUMBERS 11 AND 12 AND ATTACHED FRONT AREA RAILINGS, 11 AND 12, GUINEA STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: City of Bristol

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 08-Jan-1959

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 379673

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BRISTOL

ST5872 GUINEA STREET, Redcliff 901-1/42/1675 (South side) 08/01/59 Nos.11 AND 12 and attached front area railings

GV II

Pair of attached houses. 1718. For Captain Edmond Saunders. Brick with limestone dressings and a pantile roof, hipped to the front. Double-depth plan. Early Georgian style. Each of 2 storeys, basement and attic; 2-window range. Brick pilasters, moulded strings at each floor and a moulded coping. C19 plain left-hand doorways have rectangular overlights and C20 six-panel doors. Flat, rubbed brick arches have wavy arrisses on the second floor, and keys carrying various motifs including grotesque faces, fish, birds, fruit and a harp, to 6/9-pane ground-floor and 6/6-pane first-floor sashes; 1 hipped dormer each. INTERIOR completely rebuilt c1970. SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: deep front area with steps down to the basement has attached wrought-iron railings. Built for Captain Saunders, to whom the key motifs may relate, and originally one house with No.10 (qv). (Gomme A, Jenner M and Little B: Bristol, An Architectural History: Bristol: 1979-: 103; Ison W: The Georgian Buildings of Bristol: Bath: 1952-: 156).

Listing NGR: ST5894172189

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Gomme, A H, Jenner, M, Little, B D G, Bristol, An Architectural History, (1979), 103
Ison, W, The Georgian Buildings of Bristol, (1952), 156

National Grid Reference: ST 58941 72189

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1202256 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Sep-2018 at 08:26:18.

End of official listing