Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1202292.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2021 at 19:40:24.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

City of Bristol (Unitary Authority)
Non Civil Parish
National Grid Reference:
ST 58887 72951



ST5872NE HIGH STREET, Centre 901-1/16/591 (West side) 08/01/59 The Market


Market. Entrance 1744-45, by Samuel Glascodine; covered extension 1848-49 by RS Pope, renovated 1883. Limestone ashlar, with glazed roof over nave of market. Axial plan with C19 open plan aisled extension to S facing St Nicholas Street. Mid Georgian style. Entrance from High Street: 2 storeys; 3-window range. A symmetrical front and matching rear, with a central pedimented section set forward containing a semicircular-arched carriageway, impost band, plat band and first-floor sill band, cornice and parapet. Small semicircular-arched doorways each side, with C20 glazing, beneath a Venetian window with Doric pilasters, architraves to 6-pane windows each side, and a well-carved City shield in the tympanum; 2-bay groin-vaulted passage through to the market with octagonal Portland bollards flanking the arch. INTERIOR: 2 sections of covered arcade, the Glass and West Arcades, the N walls formed by The Rummer Public House (qv) and the Exchange (qv); the S walls have ground-floor arcades of semicircular arches with impost band, of 8 windows to the E with blank arcade above containing 6/6-pane sashes, with a right-hand 2-window return. This has C18 shop front with 2 restored bow windows and paired semicircular-arched doorways, beneath wrought-iron canopy and brackets. The W side has 9 arches, matching first-floor arcade with a plain inner arch and cornice. Glazed C19 roof has iron trusses with decorative curves and brackets. Each side is lined with single-storey timber stalls with pilaster strips to a cornice and parapet, with folding doors. C19 South Arcade extension to the S to St Nicholas Street is a single storey; 7-window range. Trapezium-shaped with curved corners, impost band, cornice and parapet raised to the middle, and semicircular-arched openings with keyed moulded archivolts; St Nicholas Street front has a tall central entrance with iron gates, windows each side, and 2 lunettes at each end. Matching 7-window right return and 4-window left return. INTERIOR: square piers to a C20 steel-trussed roof, and wooden stalls. Built following the completion of Wood's Exchange (qv); only the archway is certainly of the original design. Stall numbers are consecutive: Glass Arcade Nos 1, 5, 8, 17 & 20-50; South Arcade Nos 1-22; West Arcade Nos 1-16. (Gomme A, Jenner M and Little B: Bristol, An Architectural History: Bristol: 1979-: 148; The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: North Somerset and Bristol: London: 1958-: 420; Ison W: The Georgian Buildings of Bristol: Bath: 1952-: 106).

Listing NGR: ST5888772951


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Gomme, A H, Jenner, M, Little, B D G, Bristol, An Architectural History, (1979), 148
Ison, W, The Georgian Buildings of Bristol, (1952), 106
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: North Somerset and Bristol, (1958), 420


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 16 Mar 2006
Reference: IOE01/15016/34
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Adrian Exton. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].