HOLY CROSS INNS COURT VICARAGE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1202314

Date first listed: 08-Jan-1959

Statutory Address: HOLY CROSS INNS COURT VICARAGE, INNS COURT GREEN

Map

Ordnance survey map of HOLY CROSS INNS COURT VICARAGE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1202314 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Feb-2019 at 05:56:09.

Location

Statutory Address: HOLY CROSS INNS COURT VICARAGE, INNS COURT GREEN

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: City of Bristol (Unitary Authority)

National Grid Reference: ST 58774 69221

Details

BRISTOL

ST56NE INNS COURT GREEN, Knowle 901-1/57/1552 Holy Cross Inns Court Vicarage 08/01/59

II*

Stair turret. Early C15. Coursed rubble with ashlar dressings, pantiles and black glazed ridges. 4 sides of a hexagon. Perpendicular Gothic style. 2 storeys with weathered buttresses at the angles; doorway in the side second from right has a 4-centred moulded arch set in a square moulded frame between the buttresses, with plain shields in the spandrels; similar surrounds to single-light windows in the 2 left-hand sides; over them and above the door are 2-light ogee and cinquefoil windows lighting a landing and (removed) run of stairs; ground-floor window to the right of the door is similar to the above but smaller and higher in the wall, and lights surviving stairs from off right up over the door; above is a window with ogee tracery forming trefoils in the spandrels; drip moulding above ground- and first-floor window heads. From the left of the turret extends a wall, sloped to a roof fall with a small 4-centred doorway. C19 shallow roof. The turret is attached to a mid C20 building, (not included). INTERIOR not inspected. The surviving fragment of a once larger house, and probably built for the lawyer Sir John Innys, who died in 1439. 'The most sophisticated piece of building from the early fifteenth century [in Bristol].' (Gomme). (Gomme A, Jenner M and Little B: Bristol, An Architectural History: Bristol: 1979-: 72).

Listing NGR: ST5877469221

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 379830

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Gomme, A H, Jenner, M, Little, B D G, Bristol, An Architectural History, (1979), 72

End of official listing