MERCHANT VENTURER'S ALMSHOUSES

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1202333

Date first listed: 08-Jan-1959

Statutory Address: MERCHANT VENTURER'S ALMSHOUSES, 1-9, KING STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of MERCHANT VENTURER'S ALMSHOUSES
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1202333 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Dec-2018 at 20:58:26.

Location

Statutory Address: MERCHANT VENTURER'S ALMSHOUSES, 1-9, KING STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: City of Bristol (Unitary Authority)

National Grid Reference: ST 58714 72705

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BRISTOL

ST5872NE KING STREET, Centre 901-1/16/595 (North side) 08/01/59 Merchant Venturers' Almshouses, Nos.1-9 (Consecutive)

GV II*

Almshouses. Dated 1696. Half destroyed by bombing c1940. Render over Pennant rubble, C20 brick end-gable, brick lateral and ridge stacks and pantile hipped roof. Double-depth plan to 2 1/2 sides of a formerly 4-sided courtyard. Early Georgian style. 2 storeys; 5:8:1-window ranges. The W and half the N ranges have gone, leaving a C20 brick gable to the end of the 5-window N range, and hipped roof to the originally-open S range, with a thin drip course and timber modillion eaves cornice. The long range has a central and 2 corner doorways, a right-hand doorway to the S range, and third from left on the N range, with scrolled brackets carved with leaves to open pediment hoods, half over the corner doorways, and timber-frames with boarded doors. Mid C20 casement windows with top-hung casements above transoms, in flush frames. Oculus over the central doorway. The road front is rubble with quoins, 4 windows with thin rubble voussoirs to flat heads, dated panel, and a good carved heraldic panel with merman and merwoman flanking a shield. Tall rear N lateral stacks, and ridge stacks separating houses to E and S sides. INTERIOR: largely refurbished mid C20, dogleg stair in the entrance hall. HISTORICAL NOTE: founded by the Merchant Venturers' Society, for seamen, as attested by the board painted with a poem to their virtues on the N side. Formerly an enclosed courtyard. (Gomme A, Jenner M and Little B: Bristol, An Architectural History: Bristol: 1979-: 90; The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: North Somerset and Bristol: London: 1958-: 434).

Listing NGR: ST5883672707

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 379881

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Gomme, A H, Jenner, M, Little, B D G, Bristol, An Architectural History, (1979), 90
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: North Somerset and Bristol, (1958), 434

End of official listing