FERNS HILL QUAKERS MEET

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1202340

Date first listed: 04-Mar-1977

Date of most recent amendment: 30-Dec-1994

Statutory Address: FERNS HILL, KINGS WESTON ROAD

Statutory Address: QUAKERS MEET, KINGS WESTON ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of FERNS HILL
QUAKERS MEET
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1202340 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2018 at 23:33:38.

Location

Statutory Address: FERNS HILL, KINGS WESTON ROAD

Statutory Address: QUAKERS MEET, KINGS WESTON ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: City of Bristol (Unitary Authority)

National Grid Reference: ST 54938 78145

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BRISTOL

ST57NW KINGS WESTON ROAD, Lawrence Weston 901-1/52/1569 (North side) 04/03/77 Ferns Hill and Quakers Meet (Formerly Listed as: KINGS WESTON ROAD Ferns Hill)

GV II

Quaker meeting house, now part of an attached pair of houses. 1718 meeting house, 1780 house, C19 extensions. Roughcast rubble with a hipped pantile roof. L-shaped house with the meeting house in the angle, double-depth plan. Single storey; 3-window range meeting house, 2-storey; 4-window range house. The early C18 meeting house to the middle of the SE front has a central semicircular-arched doorway with a dated lintel and fanlight, and flanking windows with moulded architraves and 16/16 sashes with thick glazing bars, that to the left opened up to form a doorway to Ferns Hill; steep hipped roof. The late C18 house has a parapet with a moulded coping, formerly to corner pilasters; mostly C19 tripartite sashes, a cast-iron verandah to the left and a cast-iron balcony in the left return. INTERIOR: traces of a domed ceiling in the meeting house; Ferns Hill has a C18 vaulted stone cellar and well, a dogleg stair with column-on-vase balusters, ramped rail and curtail, and C19 plaster decoration. A meeting house was on the site from 1670, and meetings ceased in 1893. (An Inventory of Nonconformist Chapels...in Central England: Stell C: Gloucestershire: London: 1986-: 65).

Listing NGR: ST5493878145

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 379899

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
An Inventory of Nonconformist Chapels and Meeting Houses in Central England, (1986), 65

End of official listing