WALL, GATES AND RAILINGS TO STRANGER'S BURIAL GROUND

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1202362
Date first listed:
04-Mar-1977
Date of most recent amendment:
30-Dec-1994
Statutory Address:
WALL, GATES AND RAILINGS TO STRANGER'S BURIAL GROUND, LOWER CLIFTON HILL

Map

Ordnance survey map of WALL, GATES AND RAILINGS TO STRANGER'S BURIAL GROUND
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1202362 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Aug-2019 at 12:45:16.

Location

Statutory Address:
WALL, GATES AND RAILINGS TO STRANGER'S BURIAL GROUND, LOWER CLIFTON HILL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
City of Bristol (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
ST 57660 73020

Details

BRISTOL

ST5773SE LOWER CLIFTON HILL, Clifton 901-1/9/135 (North West side) 04/03/77 Wall, gates and railings to Strangers' Burial Ground (Formerly Listed as: LOWER CLIFTON HILL Walls and gates of the Strangers Burial Ground)

II

Walls, gates and railings. Opened 1787. Red Pennant rubble walls, Pennant piers, and wrought-iron railings and gates. Wall approx 30m long, with middle section between square piers with spear-headed railings and 2-leaf gates. HISTORICAL NOTE: enclose an overflow graveyard for St Paul's, Clifton (demolished), much used by visitors to the Hotwells. Closed 1871.

Listing NGR: ST5766073020

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
379959
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 07 Apr 2002
Reference: IOE01/06229/09
Rights: Copyright IoE Mike Bedingfield. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].