CHURCH OF ST AIDAN

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1202382
Date first listed:
01-Nov-1966
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST AIDAN, NICHOLAS LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST AIDAN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1202382 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 26-Aug-2019 at 10:05:12.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST AIDAN, NICHOLAS LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
City of Bristol (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
ST 63362 73006

Details

BRISTOL

ST67SW NICHOLAS LANE, St George 901-1/56/1843 (West side) 01/11/66 Church of St Aidan

II

Church. 1902. By GF Bodley. Squared, coursed Pennant rubble with limestone dressings, brick and slate roof. Chancel and uncompleted nave with S aisle. Free Gothic Revival style. Gabled E end with clasping buttresses and a small, high 3-light window with reticulated tracery; vestry with a 3-light mullion window and a S Lady Chapel with a window similar to the chancel. N elevation has a 2-bay vestry lit as the E end, a bellcote to the nave gable, and a truncated 2-bay nave with windows of 5 stepped lancets separated by buttresses; the S aisle has wide, Perpendicular style 5-light windows with quatrefoil heads in a label mould. Plain brick W end. INTERIOR: 2-bay chancel has arches dying to the jambs and a painted waggon roof with bosses, and a wide chancel arch; 2-bay nave arcade with octagonal piers, a waggon roof and a 2-bay S aisle. Plain with little decorative detailing or spatial effects, and incomplete. (The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: North Somerset and Bristol: London: 1958-: 329; The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: North Somerset and Bristol: London: 1958-: 452).

Listing NGR: ST6336273006

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
380018
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: North Somerset and Bristol, (1958), 329 452

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 24 Jun 2001
Reference: IOE01/03543/29
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Phil Draper. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].