Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1202400.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 27-Oct-2020 at 12:33:41.


Statutory Address:
Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

City of Bristol (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
ST 63350 76270


This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 07/03/2013

ST67NW 901-1/54/1275 20/02/90

BRISTOL OLDBURY COURT ROAD (West side), Fishponds, St Matthias' College


Includes: St Matthias' College COLLEGE ROAD College. 1851-2. By John Bevan with Jonathan Clarke. Extended 1903. Squared Pennant rubble with limestone dressings; Pennant stone tile and clay tile roof, square stone diagonal stacks on the ridges and gable ends. 4 linked blocks around 3 sides of a quadrangle, open to the E. Gothic Revival collegiate style. To the N, an L-shaped block with a projecting entrance gable and octagonal stair tower, with a pierced parapet. 2 storeys, 3 storey front gable; varied fenestration of chamfered mullion and transom windows with eaves dormers on the second floor. 2-centred doorway with carved head hood stops; canted bay to W and lower eaves to E end. Main range to W has a central gable and an entrance tower at the N end; fenestration as above. 2-centred arched doorway in the tower with a pierced parapet and spirelet; cross hall to S has an octagonal bayed end with a pyramidal roof with louvred dormer windows, and a curved staircase with a ramped parapet; projecting wing to N, a 3-window range separated by buttresses. Chapel in SW corner with lancet windows, a 4-bay range to the nave and a bellcote on the west end. Later block on S side is 2 storeys; 8-window range with an octagonal stair tower 3rd from left with a pierced parapet and gargoyles on the corners; ground-floor segmental-headed windows, eaves dormers on the first-floor and an oriel in the E end; covered ground-floor connecting passage. INTERIOR: the staircase in the main block with twisted, iron balusters and crenellated newels; the cross hall has a hammerbeam roof on carved corbels, and a stone winder stair with wrought-iron banisters. The chapel roof has alternating cusped arch-braced and scissor-braced trusses with pierced spandrels. Various Gothic fireplaces. Traceried stained-glass screen to ground-floor front wing gable. The college was built as the Gloucester and Bristol Diocesan Training Institution for School Mistresses, and is now part of the University of the West of England (Bristol Polytechnic at date of listing). One of the best Gothic Revival buildings in Bristol, with carefully varied plan and detail. (Mowl T: Bristol The Last Age of the Merchant Princes: Bristol: 1991-: 21).

Listing NGR: ST6335076270


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Mowl, T, Bristol: The Last Age of the Merchant Princes, (1991), 21


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 01 Aug 2005
Reference: IOE01/14740/35
Rights: Copyright IoE Ian Webb. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].