NUMBERS 27, 28 AND 29 AND ATTACHED FRONT AREA RAILINGS AND GATES

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1202407
Date first listed:
08-Jan-1959
Date of most recent amendment:
30-Dec-1994
Statutory Address:
NUMBERS 27, 28 AND 29 AND ATTACHED FRONT AREA RAILINGS AND GATES, 27, 28 AND 29, ORCHARD STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of NUMBERS 27, 28 AND 29 AND ATTACHED FRONT AREA RAILINGS AND GATES
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1202407 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Oct-2019 at 04:45:54.

Location

Statutory Address:
NUMBERS 27, 28 AND 29 AND ATTACHED FRONT AREA RAILINGS AND GATES, 27, 28 AND 29, ORCHARD STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
City of Bristol (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
ST 58422 72915

Details

BRISTOL

ST5872NW ORCHARD STREET 901-1/15/159 (South East side) 08/01/59 Nos.27, 28 AND 29 and attached front area railings and gates (Formerly Listed as: ORCHARD STREET (South side) Nos.25-29 (Consecutive))

GV II*

Terrace of 3 houses. c1722. Brick with limestone dressings, party wall stacks and a pantile roof. Early Georgian style. Each of 3 storeys; 4-window range, No.27 of 3 windows. Rusticated pilaster strips, moulded strings to each floor and a coped parapet. Right-of-centre doorway to No.28 has fluted pilasters to a bracketed broken segmental pediment, wooden door frame and large 8-panel door; the outer houses have left-hand doorways with moulded brackets to canopies, rectangular overlights with lozenge glazing bars, and 6-panel doors. Windows with keyed brick flat arches, and grotesque carved keys to No.28 to 6/6-pane sashes, those to outer houses in flush frames, with 9/9-panes to first-floor of No.29 and second floor of No.27. Slate-hung segmental headed dormers. The right return has a limestone ashlar C20 shop front, rendered above with 2 first-floor sashes. INTERIOR: No.28 has a very fine, fully-panelled entrance stair hall, with an open-well stair to a balcony landing, with column-on-vase balusters, fluted Corinthian newels, and a ramped moulded rail, to a very wide curtail and wreathed rail with an inlaid star; foliate carved brackets, and moulded soffit; fluted Ionic pilasters to ground-floor semicircular-arched doorway and foliate key, and Corinthian pilasters to similar first-floor doorway; a dogleg rear service stair; panelled rooms, cornices and 6-panel doors. No.29 has a good dogleg stair. SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: attached front area wrought-iron railings and gates, curved in towards doorways. Part of a good early Georgian terrace with the slightly earlier Nos 25 & 26 (qv). The street was laid out in 1716, and the houses built by speculative builders to varying plans for different clients, and common elevations. (Gomme A, Jenner M and Little B: Bristol, An Architectural History: Bristol: 1979-: 100; Ison W: The Georgian Buildings of Bristol: Bath: 1952-: 152).

Listing NGR: ST5843172917

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
380083
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Gomme, A H, Jenner, M, Little, B D G, Bristol, An Architectural History, (1979), 100
Ison, W, The Georgian Buildings of Bristol, (1952), 152

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 30 Jun 2001
Reference: IOE01/07946/17
Rights: Copyright IoE Ms Ruth Povey. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].