NUMBERS 22 TO 28 AND ATTACHED AREA RAILINGS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1202444
Date first listed:
08-Jan-1959
Date of most recent amendment:
30-Dec-1994
Statutory Address:
NUMBERS 22 TO 28 AND ATTACHED AREA RAILINGS, 22-28, PORTLAND SQUARE

Map

Ordnance survey map of NUMBERS 22 TO 28 AND ATTACHED AREA RAILINGS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1202444 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Aug-2019 at 18:54:57.

Location

Statutory Address:
NUMBERS 22 TO 28 AND ATTACHED AREA RAILINGS, 22-28, PORTLAND SQUARE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
City of Bristol (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
ST 59386 73772

Details

BRISTOL

ST5973NW PORTLAND SQUARE, St Paul 901-1/6/1904 (North side) 08/01/59 Nos.22-28 (Consecutive) and attached area railings (Formerly Listed as: PORTLAND SQUARE (North side) Nos.22-28 (Consecutive))

GV I

Terrace of 7 houses. 1789-1820. By Daniel Hague. Limestone ashlar, brick stacks and slate mansard roof. Double-depth plan. Late Georgian style. Nos 23, 25 & 28 are 4 storeys; 4-window range, the rest 3 storeys; 3-window range, with basements and attics. A formal symmetrical composition in which the middle and end houses project slightly; a rusticated ground floor, pilasters from the first-floor plat band to a modillion cornice and parapet; the centre has pilasters with bases and acanthus capitals and a plain square-headed doorway with a fanlight in a rectangular overlight. Doorcases are placed toward the centre with Ionic columns and modillion pediments, batswing fanlights and 6-panel doors; rusticated voussoirs to the ground-floor windows and plain voussoirs above, to 6/6-pane sashes; the end gables have a large central semicircular-arched doorway with a Gibbs surround, similar stair windows and lunettes above the cornice, and openings either side with 5 stepped voussoirs. Nos 23 & 24 completely rebuilt c1973 as replicas to complete the terrace. INTERIOR: details in No.27 include a central lateral stair well top lit by a conical lantern, open-well stair with column and urn balusters and curtail, fluted Tuscan and Corinthian pilasters to semicircular and segmental hall arches with panelled reveals, modillion cornices and panelled shutters. The other houses have been largely remodelled c1980. SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: spear railings to basement areas. The corner pilaster of No.28 is inscribed PORTLAND SQUARE and CAVE STREET. Part of Bristol's '...most complete and beautiful square' (Gomme). (Gomme A, Jenner M and Little B: Bristol, An Architectural History: Bristol: 1979-: 209; Ison W: The Georgian Buildings of Bristol: Bath: 1952-: 220; Dening C F W: The Eighteenth Century Architecture of Bristol: Bristol: 1923-: 53).

Listing NGR: ST5936473790

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
380188
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Dening, C F W , The Eighteenth Century Architecture of Bristol, (1923), 53
Gomme, A H, Jenner, M, Little, B D G, Bristol, An Architectural History, (1979), 209
Ison, W, The Georgian Buildings of Bristol, (1952), 220

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 30 Jun 2001
Reference: IOE01/09998/14
Rights: Copyright IoE Ms Ruth Povey. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].