This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CLIFTON LIBRARY AND ATTACHED FRONT RAILINGS AND GATES

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CLIFTON LIBRARY AND ATTACHED FRONT RAILINGS AND GATES

List entry Number: 1202457

Location

CLIFTON LIBRARY AND ATTACHED FRONT RAILINGS AND GATES, 13, PRINCESS VICTORIA STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: City of Bristol

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 30-Dec-1994

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 380217

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BRISTOL

ST5773SW PRINCESS VICTORIA STREET, Clifton 901-1/8/938 (South side) No.13 Clifton Library and attached front railings and gates

GV II

School, now library. Founded 1852. Designed by C Underwood, rebuilt 1877 by Charles Hansom, additions 1891 by WT Bernard. Limestone ashlar, roof not visible. U-shaped double-depth plan. Italianate style. 2 storeys and basement; 11-window range. A symmetrical front has later narrow projecting wings with clasping pilasters to a coved cornice and panelled parapet, with an earlier and taller centre with cornice and parapet, and a central segmental pediment. sill and impost bands, those to the wings set in a panel between the pilasters. Semicircular-arched doorways in the returns have C20 doors. Windows have semicircular moulded archivolts, 2 small windows to the ground floor of the wings, and to the returns, and taller single second-floor windows to the wings. The centre has three 2-window ground-floor arcades, and smaller 3-window first-floor arcades, with CHRIST CHURCH SCHOOL inscribed in oval panels between. INTERIOR: largely rebuilt; stone dogleg stairs with wrought-iron railings in the right-hand wing, and roof trusses with chamfered queen posts. SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: attached cast-iron gates and ashlar wall with fleur-de-lys head railings closes the forecourt between the wings. HISTORICAL NOTE: one of a small number of pre-Board schools in Bristol.

Listing NGR: ST5699073007

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: ST 57041 73027

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1202457 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Sep-2018 at 04:22:45.

End of official listing