NUMBER 48 AND ATTACHED RAILINGS AND PIERS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1202470
Date first listed:
08-Jan-1959
Date of most recent amendment:
30-Dec-1994
Statutory Address:
NUMBER 48 AND ATTACHED RAILINGS AND PIERS, 48, QUEEN SQUARE

Map

Ordnance survey map of NUMBER 48 AND ATTACHED RAILINGS AND PIERS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1202470 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Aug-2019 at 19:47:55.

Location

Statutory Address:
NUMBER 48 AND ATTACHED RAILINGS AND PIERS, 48, QUEEN SQUARE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
City of Bristol (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
ST 58670 72514

Details

BRISTOL

ST5872NE QUEEN SQUARE 901-1/16/207 (West side) 08/01/59 No.48 and attached railings and piers (Formerly Listed as: QUEEN SQUARE (West side) Nos.46-55 (Consecutive))

GV II

Attached house. c1833. Limestone ashlar and render, party wall stacks, roof not visible. Double-depth plan. 3 storeys, attic and basement; 3-window range. A near symmetrical front has panelled pilasters to a banded ground floor, pilasters above linked by a frieze, cornice and parapet. Right-of-centre doorway has fluted pilasters to an entablature and cornice, rectangular fanlight with lantern, and 6-panel door. Ground-floor windows in recessed surrounds to 8/8-pane sashes, 6/6-pane sashes above, with a central pediment lintel with wreath on the first floor. INTERIOR: central dogleg stair with stick balusters, curtail and 6-panel doors. SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: attached front area railings with palmette finials and piers. Queen Square was built between 1701 and 1727. Much of the W side was rebuilt after the Reform Bill riots of 1831. (Gomme A, Jenner M and Little B: Bristol, An Architectural History: Bristol: 1979-: 94, 229).

Listing NGR: ST5867072514

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
380255
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Gomme, A H, Jenner, M, Little, B D G, Bristol, An Architectural History, (1979), 94 229

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 30 Jun 2001
Reference: IOE01/11852/27
Rights: Copyright IoE Ms Ruth Povey. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].