This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

FORMER CHURCH OF ST MARK

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: FORMER CHURCH OF ST MARK

List entry Number: 1202533

Location

FORMER CHURCH OF ST MARK, ST MARKS ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: City of Bristol

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 01-Nov-1966

Date of most recent amendment: 30-Dec-1994

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 380434

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BRISTOL

ST6074 ST MARK'S ROAD, Easton 901-1/37/1242 (East side) 01/11/66 Former Church of St Mark (Formerly Listed as: ST MARK'S ROAD Church of St Mark)

II

Church, now flats. 1848. By Charles Dyer. Converted 1991. Pennant rubble with limestone dressings and ashlar spire, and a slate roof. Apsidal nave with a N tower. Norman Revival style. Rounded apse has 6 semicircular-arched windows on attached columns, linked by a sill band. 5-bay N elevation has c1990 flat-headed ground floor windows with zigzag patterned lintels, and round-arched first-floor windows, with scalloped capitals and slender colonnettes, separated by buttresses; 3-stage tower one bay from the W has angle buttresses and N round-arched door similar to the first-floor windows; lancet belfry windows formed by interlacing arcade of round arches with chevron archivolts and colonnettes, beneath a stepped ashlar pyramid roof with mythical animals on the ridges. Similar 5-bay S elevation. The W end has a round-arched doorway with chevron-moulded archivolt within a weathered, projecting porch, below a large wheel window with 10 spokes to a central round light; Celtic crosses at either end of the nave. INTERIOR not inspected. (Crick C: Victorian Buildings in Bristol: Bristol: 1975-: 20; Gomme A, Jenner M and Little B: Bristol, An Architectural History: Bristol: 1979-: 296).

Listing NGR: ST6086974358

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Crick, C , Victorian Buildings in Bristol, (1975), 20
Gomme, A H, Jenner, M, Little, B D G, Bristol, An Architectural History, (1979), 296

National Grid Reference: ST 60869 74358

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1202533 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Sep-2018 at 09:15:47.

End of official listing