ST VINCENT'S WORKS, GATEWAY AND ATTACHED WALL TO SOUTH WEST

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1202566
Date first listed:
04-Mar-1977
Date of most recent amendment:
30-Dec-1994
Statutory Address:
ST VINCENT'S WORKS, GATEWAY AND ATTACHED WALL TO SOUTH WEST, SILVERTHORNE LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of ST VINCENT'S WORKS, GATEWAY AND ATTACHED WALL TO SOUTH WEST
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1202566 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Oct-2019 at 09:43:38.

Location

Statutory Address:
ST VINCENT'S WORKS, GATEWAY AND ATTACHED WALL TO SOUTH WEST, SILVERTHORNE LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
City of Bristol (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
ST 60247 72517

Details

BRISTOL

ST6072 SILVERTHORNE LANE, St Philip 901-1/43/1926 (South East side) 04/03/77 St Vincent's Works, gateway and attached wall to south-west (Formerly Listed as: SILVERTHORNE LANE Gateway adjoining office block at St Vincent's Works (Reemco))

GV II

Gateway. 1891. By TR Lysaght, possibly assisted by RM Drake. For J Lysaght. Squared, coursed Pennant rubble with limestone dressings, limestone ashlar and squared, coursed rock-faced red sandstone. Vehicle gateway and quadrant side walls, and left-hand pedestrian gateway attached to the right of St Vincent's Works offices (qv). Ruritanian castellated Gothic Revival style. A large semicircular arch with a coved archivolt and hoodmould, set in recessed panel below a corbel-table, in a wall with an embattled parapet and raised central gable, battered sides and 2-leaf wrought-iron gates with leaves and RL set in a monogram; quadrant walls curve out either side with battered sandstone plinths, 2 bands of limestone ashlar, and slim turrets at the ends with rusticated limestone bands and crenellated tops; to the left a matching semicircular-arched gateway between turrets, with wrought-iron gates and a fanlight. SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: attached wall to SW.

Listing NGR: ST6024772517

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
380527
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 16 Apr 2005
Reference: IOE01/13733/05
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Ian Garman. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].