ALBION CHAMBERS ALBION CHAMBERS AND ATTACHED RAILINGS AND GATE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1202579

Date first listed: 08-Jan-1959

Date of most recent amendment: 30-Dec-1994

Statutory Address: ALBION CHAMBERS AND ATTACHED RAILINGS AND GATE, 22 AND 23, SMALL STREET

Statutory Address: ALBION CHAMBERS, BROAD STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of ALBION CHAMBERS
ALBION CHAMBERS AND ATTACHED RAILINGS AND GATE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1202579 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Nov-2018 at 20:15:00.

Location

Statutory Address: ALBION CHAMBERS AND ATTACHED RAILINGS AND GATE, 22 AND 23, SMALL STREET

Statutory Address: ALBION CHAMBERS, BROAD STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: City of Bristol (Unitary Authority)

National Grid Reference: ST 58828 73073

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BRISTOL

ST5873SE SMALL STREET, Centre 901-1/11/630 (North East side) 08/01/59 Nos.22 AND 23 Albion Chambers and attached railings and gate (Formerly Listed as: SMALL STREET (North East side) Nos.22 AND 23 and Albion Chambers)

GV II

Includes: Albion Chambers BROAD STREET Centre. Offices, now restaurants and offices. 1843. Brick with limestone dressings and lateral stacks, stuccoed courtyard blocks with brick ridge stacks and hipped pantile roofs. 4 double-depth blocks arranged symmetrically to the sides of a T-shaped courtyard. Greek Revival-style details. 4 storeys; 5-window range. A symmetrical Small Street elevation has ground-floor shop fronts and a semicircular arch to a through passage, cornice and ashlar parapet. The archway has a moulded archivolt with outer moulding of palmettes, a shell-like fanlight panel containing an acroterion above the lintel, and panelled jambs, repeated at the ends of the shop fronts either side, with plate-glass windows. The windows above have architraves, eared and battered with cornices and ashlar aprons on the first floor with a central eared square window, battered on the second floor, to plate-glass sashes. The left return is random limestone ashlar in the manner of the neighbouring former Assizes (not included), and was rebuilt 1865-70 to enclose the space in front of it. The courtyard has matching blocks facing across the sides of the courtyard, and a third across the end, with a through passage to Broad Street. Each of 3 storeys; 5-window ranges with a coped parapet, the side pair with an eared, battered architrave and 6-panel doors, that to the E end with an eared, segmental-arched architrave and large key to the passage, small end windows with raised surrounds, with curved, wrought-iron brackets to a lamp over the doorway, and a clock over the first-floor window set in an ornate square panel; 8/8-pane sashes with fine bars, some replaced with horned and plate-glass sashes. INTERIOR: the Small Street block has an entrance in the right-hand side of the passage; details include a stone cantilevered oval open-well winder stair, with wrought-iron railings, and floors of stone laid on iron I-section beams; second-floor fire surround with panelled jambs and mantle to roundels; brick groin vaults in basement. The 2 side blocks have similar open dogleg stairs, and the E block has an open-well stair above the W entrance; panelled reveals to 6-panel doors. SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: attached cast-iron spear-headed railings and gate with palmette finials to basement steps in the N end of the courtyard, and to the NE entrance from Broad Street. An advanced design of fire-proof offices, formally arranged round a courtyard. (Gomme A, Jenner M and Little B: Bristol, An Architectural History: Bristol: 1979-: 252).

Listing NGR: ST5882873073

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 380559

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Gomme, A H, Jenner, M, Little, B D G, Bristol, An Architectural History, (1979), 252

End of official listing