Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1202638.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 29-Nov-2020 at 11:37:41.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

City of Bristol (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
ST 60051 73477



ST67SW TRINITY ROAD, Laurence Hill 901-1/56/1564 (East side) St Philip's Public Library


Library. Dated 1896. By WV Gough. Red and yellow striped brickwork with limestone dressings, and a slate roof. Open plan. Jacobethan style. 2 storeys; 6-window range. Symmetrical front with a central bay projecting slightly, balustrade with square urns on the corners, and a square, louvred cupola on the ridge capped by a dome and weather vane. The main entrance is a round-arched door between brick pilasters; on the first floor above is a detailed heraldic device of unicorns holding a Bristol coat of arms, beneath a scrolled pediment on dwarf Ionic pilasters; the inscription VIRTUE ET INDUSTRIA is underneath. The bay is topped by a panel in the parapet reading ST PHILIPS PUBLIC LIBRARY/ 1896, and a pedimented bellcote containing a clock. Chamfered mullion and transom windows with elliptical heads in rectangular architraves, of 3 lights, 2 transoms to ground floor, 2-light windows each side of each bay. In the centre of each side is a full-height canted bay with a 9-light window. Leaded and stained casement windows. To the left is a single-storey block with a large round-arched doorway on square responds with carved capitals, and a pediment and cartouche above. Brick and ashlar striped piers and steel railings to the front area. INTERIOR: 3 semicircular arches with coffered intrados subdivide the library; roof with trusses with 3 queen posts and arched braces. (Crick C: Victorian Buildings in Bristol: Bristol: 1975-: 61).

Listing NGR: ST6005173477


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Crick, C , Victorian Buildings in Bristol, (1975), 61


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 22 Apr 2006
Reference: IOE01/13733/27
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Ian Garman. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].