UNIVERSITY OF BRISTOL, DEPARTMENT OF BOTANY AND ATTACHED WALLS AND LAMPS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1202651
Date first listed:
04-Mar-1977
Date of most recent amendment:
30-Dec-1994
Statutory Address:
UNIVERSITY OF BRISTOL, DEPARTMENT OF BOTANY AND ATTACHED WALLS AND LAMPS, UNIVERSITY ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of UNIVERSITY OF BRISTOL, DEPARTMENT OF BOTANY AND ATTACHED WALLS AND LAMPS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1202651.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Oct-2019 at 00:21:13.

Location

Statutory Address:
UNIVERSITY OF BRISTOL, DEPARTMENT OF BOTANY AND ATTACHED WALLS AND LAMPS, UNIVERSITY ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
City of Bristol (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
ST 58076 73300

Details

BRISTOL

ST5873SW UNIVERSITY ROAD 901-1/10/313 (East side) 04/03/77 University of Bristol, Department of Botany and attached walls and lamps (Formerly Listed as: UNIVERSITY ROAD Departments of Botany and Zoology, University of Bristol)

GV II

University department. 1880. By CF Hansom, continued 1889 by E Hansom and FB Bond. Red Pennant rubble with limestone dressings, lateral and ridge stacks, and Welsh slate roofs with bands of round-ended slates. Double-depth plan to 3 sides of a courtyard. Collegiate Tudor Revival style. Plain L-shaped 1880 block to the rear of the courtyard, 3 storeys; 7-window range. Ogee-headed cross windows to 2 wide, symmetrical, full-height bays, strings and crenellated parapet, and 2 Tudor-arched doorways. Later right-hand wing 2 storeys and basement; 6-window range, with mullion and transom windows, cornice with carved heads and crenellated parapet. Left-hand gable faces courtyard with windows each side of an exterior stack; the left-hand gable to the road is 3 storeys with clasping buttresses, 3 ground-floor windows with a central Tudor-arched door, beneath fan vaulting supporting a canted oriel with narrow flanking windows and crenellated parapet; semicircular-arched second-floor window. To the right is a 1904 projecting octagonal tower with corner gargoyles and a panelled ashlar parapet. Similar street gable to right-hand wing has 3 storeys and a left-hand stair turret set back with an ashlar spirelet and finial. INTERIOR: largely plain laboratory and teaching rooms. SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: attached front entrance walls with low piers and wrought-iron lamps. (Gomme A, Jenner M and Little B: Bristol, An Architectural History: Bristol: 1979-: 323).

Listing NGR: ST5807673300

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
380754
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Gomme, A H, Jenner, M, Little, B D G, Bristol, An Architectural History, (1979), 323

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 16 Mar 2006
Reference: IOE01/14412/09
Rights: Copyright IoE Dr Neil Bentham. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].