TOWER OF CHURCH OF THE HOLY NATIVITY (OTHER PARTS NOT INCLUDED)

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1202671
Date first listed:
04-Mar-1977
Statutory Address:
TOWER OF CHURCH OF THE HOLY NATIVITY (OTHER PARTS NOT INCLUDED), WELLS ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of TOWER OF CHURCH OF THE HOLY NATIVITY (OTHER PARTS NOT INCLUDED)
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1202671 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Oct-2019 at 20:54:39.

Location

Statutory Address:
TOWER OF CHURCH OF THE HOLY NATIVITY (OTHER PARTS NOT INCLUDED), WELLS ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
City of Bristol (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
ST 60204 71429

Details

BRISTOL

ST316071 WELLS ROAD, Knowle 901-1/47/1560 (North East side) 04/03/77 Tower of Church of the Holy Nativity (other parts not included)

II

Church tower. 1871-83. By A Ponton and WV Gough. Bridgwater brick walls with limestone dressings and copper-covered spire. Square tower with one adjoining bay of aisle; the body of the church was destroyed in World War II. Lombardic-Romanesque style. 5 storeys, diminishing slightly at the string courses. Lancet doorway with polychromatic arch, and 2 similar side windows; statue in carved Gothic niche on 3 corbels above doorway, and panelled stone band; second, third and top storeys have one, 2 and 4 arched openings, the latter forming an arcade on slim columns. Bands of yellow brick become progressively thinner and closer together from ground to second floor; thereafter plain red brick. INTERIOR not inspected. HISTORICAL NOTE: tower completed by Gough's son Arthur in 1931; the body of the church rebuilt in the 1950s. A prominent south Bristol landmark. (Gomme A, Jenner M and Little B: Bristol, An Architectural History: Bristol: 1979-: 328).

Listing NGR: ST6020471429

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
380809
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Gomme, A H, Jenner, M, Little, B D G, Bristol, An Architectural History, (1979), 328

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Reference: IOE01/02623/07
Rights: Copyright IoE Miss Janet Gibson. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].