BROADCASTING HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1202692
Date first listed:
04-Mar-1977
Date of most recent amendment:
30-Dec-1994
Statutory Address:
BROADCASTING HOUSE, 21 AND 23, WHITELADIES ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of BROADCASTING HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1202692 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2019 at 21:06:50.

Location

Statutory Address:
BROADCASTING HOUSE, 21 AND 23, WHITELADIES ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
City of Bristol (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
ST 57830 73621

Details

BRISTOL

ST5773NE WHITELADIES ROAD, Clifton 901-1/3/1114 (East side) 04/03/77 Nos.21 AND 23 Broadcasting House (Formerly Listed as: WHITELADIES ROAD (East side) Nos.21 AND 23 BBC)

GV II

Pair of attached houses, now office. 1852. Built by JC Lee. Limestone ashlar with lateral stacks and a concrete tile hipped roof. Double-depth plan. Neoclassical style. Each of 3 storeys and basement; 3-window range. A symmetrical front has projecting 1-window wings with large Roman Doric porticos, banded ground floor in between, clasping Ionic pilasters to the wings and party wall, frieze, dentil cornice and parapet. The doorways have architraves, an overlight and double 3-panel doors; right-hand one is blocked. Architraves, console cornices to the first floor, plate-glass ground-floor sashes, French windows to the middle first floor, and 6/6-pane sashes the rest. A first-floor tented balcony across the middle on stone brackets with wrought-iron railings in oval panels. Left-hand single storey late C19 block is banded, with 2 windows and a moulded parapet coping. INTERIOR: entrance halls with dogleg stairs, cast-iron balusters and curtails, modillion cornices and 6-panel doors. Nos 21-33 (qv) are linked into a single office.

Listing NGR: ST5783073621

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
380866
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 27 Aug 2001
Reference: IOE01/05297/16
Rights: Copyright IoE Ms Judy Goodsell. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].