This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

163-169, WHITELADIES ROAD, 1, BURLINGTON ROAD

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: 163-169, WHITELADIES ROAD, 1, BURLINGTON ROAD

List entry Number: 1202699

Location

1, BURLINGTON ROAD
163-169, WHITELADIES ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: City of Bristol

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 04-Mar-1977

Date of most recent amendment: 30-Dec-1994

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 380882

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BRISTOL

ST5774 WHITELADIES ROAD, Clifton 901-1/34/1129 (East side) 04/03/77 Nos.163-169 (Odd)

GV II

Includes: No.1 BURLINGTON ROAD Clifton. Terrace of 6 houses, now shops and offices. c1840. Bank of 1899 by George Silley. For Wilts and Dorset Bank. Limestone ashlar, party wall stacks, roof not visible. Double-depth plan. Neoclassical style. 3 storeys and attic; 3:4:3-window range. A formal terrace with late C19 & C20 ground-floor shops and a bank in front; the ends of the terrace break forward, with a full elevation in the right-hand return, and the entrance to the end house in the rear. Banded ground floor, windows with architraves, cornice and coped attic storey; 6/6-pane first and second-floor sashes, and 3/3-pane attic sashes. Blind right-hand windows, below a lateral stack with central balustrade. The right return has a 3-window range with a central doorway, tripartite outer first-floor windows, the right-hand one with a cast-iron balcony. Porch to the rear has a cornice and 6-panel door, with margin windows. The rear central section has 9/9-pane semicircular-arched stair lights. Elaborate Edwardian Baroque-style bank has a granite plinth, an arcade of 5 semicircular-arched windows, separated by blocked Tuscan columns, doorways at the left end and right-hand corner have rounded granite frames, and a full-width balustraded parapet; bowed right-hand 3-window end. INTERIOR: bank has a panelled ceiling and an oval domed lantern.

Listing NGR: ST5750474585

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: ST 57504 74585

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1202699 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Sep-2018 at 05:18:37.

End of official listing