VICTORIA CHAPEL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1202701

Date first listed: 04-Mar-1977

Date of most recent amendment: 30-Dec-1994

Statutory Address: VICTORIA CHAPEL, WHITELADIES ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of VICTORIA CHAPEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1202701 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Nov-2018 at 13:25:32.

Location

Statutory Address: VICTORIA CHAPEL, WHITELADIES ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: City of Bristol (Unitary Authority)

National Grid Reference: ST 57833 73448

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BRISTOL

ST5773SE WHITELADIES ROAD, Clifton 901-1/9/1135 (East side) 04/03/77 Victoria Chapel (Formerly Listed as: WHITELADIES ROAD (East side) Victoria Chapel (Methodist))

II

Methodist chapel. 1863. By Foster and Wood. Polychromatic limestone and sandstone ashlar, Pennant rubble basement and E end, and slate roof. Open plan with SW porch. French Gothic Revival style, with use of structural polychromy. Single storey and basement. E end has rose window with bar tracery; N elevation is 6 bays, 2 depressed trefoil windows on basement under relieving arch, and 2 ground-floor trefoil-headed lights with rose window in plate tracery, separated by deep buttresses with weathered tops, and foliate corbel table; W porch with plain door, above it a weathered broach stair tower with paired trefoil windows to each side. Similar S elevation has a 2-bay W porch with Pennant steps, a hollow-moulded doorway inside arch with foliate capitals and hood with king and queen stops; gabled drip with Tudor flowers and corner gargoyles, and parapet with pierced trefoils; the 2 plate-tracery side windows have paired trefoil-headed lights and cinquefoil rose in flat polychromatic arch on slender shafts. Wide, W gable has set-back buttresses with weathered tops and central doorway of 3 orders, the inner to cusped cinquefoil arch, with either side a blind arcade of trefoil arches with arrow slits in the middle; drip with Tudor flowers rises into tall gable hood above the arch, enclosing traceried tympanum, and intersecting the middle of 3 tall W windows with weathered plinths; each of 3 orders on banded shafts, with foliate capitals which run into the corbel table to the sides, of 2 lights to sides and 3 in centre, Decorated tracery with nailheads to the arches; in the apex 5 stepped lancets, 2nd and 4th blind, beneath a roll-top coping and parapet finial. Behind the gable is a tall copper spirelet. INTERIOR: windows have cusped rere arches on foliate corbels, linked by scrolled ribbon band; cusped arched-braced roof on columns to corbels, and gallery at W end. Fittings largely C20. 'One of our prettiest C19 chapels'. (Crick). (Crick C: Victorian Buildings in Bristol: Bristol: 1975-: 29).

Listing NGR: ST5783373448

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 380888

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Crick, C , Victorian Buildings in Bristol, (1975), 29

End of official listing